View Poll Results: So who will really buy Vray?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a freelance and I can buy Vray immediately.

54 30.00%
  • I am a freelance and I would love to buy it ... but... i probably can't at this price or not now.

40 22.22%
  • The company I work for wants (and can) buy Vray.

33 18.33%
  • We don't need Vray.

67 37.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: how will buy Vray for lightwave?

thats my point jasonwestmas, and thats why I am seeking for something else than sketchup+vray to render my LW projects... We might finish into SI at office, we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by BERSEKAEL View Post
    thats my point jasonwestmas, and thats why I am seeking for something else than sketchup+vray to render my LW projects... We might finish into SI at office, we will see.
    sure why not give it a shot.

the main problem i see with lw renderer is that it is slowww. compared to kray its super slow . maybe i dont know how to set it up properly, but there no tutorials that would teach me how to render fast with lw renderer

Quote Originally Posted by medzo View Post
    but there no tutorials that would teach me how to render fast with lw renderer
    what!? Such extreme statements being made from all ovah.

Anywho, I doubt you'd say the same about LW11.

so, in Lightwave 11,
    samples settings, AA, and blurred reflections have been improved?

or are there changes to the GI as well...?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    so, in Lightwave 11,
    samples settings, AA, and blurred reflections have been improved?

or are there changes to the GI as well...?
    I'm not big on GI but the AA is at least twice as fast for the quality I get in my tests. But that was some heads I had. And the comments I made earlier about the sub-D freezing being slow turned out to be not a big deal in other scenes with more polygons. It's just the RAM usage I'm concerned with now.

Exellente! :]
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quoting his highness Matt Gorner "Unified Sampling in LW11 has make GI flickering much less apparent, it also now uses a fixed GI pattern between frames, which also helps."
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?there´s plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

Guys whats the deal with Vray? why people is afraid or negative to that option?

We have Maxwell already (more expensive, a little less quality/speed) why we can't have Vray?

I think the deal is that when Vray is integrated into other apps it is done so in a much more complete way than Kray and other renderers are. So Vray is far more competative in that context. I don't think Kray is as popular as it could be if there was a way to integrate it better as an all around render engine for any kind of animation. I dunno for sure but most people don't seem to get too excited about learning Kray for anything other than interriors for arch viz.

I guess I should pick up Kray and find out if I can do anything unique with it other than nice GI lighting and tone mapping. I'm probably oversimplifying Kray but that seems to be the only reason to use it. Whereas Vray's charm is much more focused on all around effects and animation in general.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 02-24-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Well I try Kray demo in a project before, in general it had some issues like:
    -Linear lights and IES broken
    -slow render proces
    And some more at the time I was rendering the same scene in Vray demo(into free sketcup up) to test them as a neutral point of view of a LW lover, and I found in Vray:

-color mapping and tone mapping as a nice improvement
    -caustics, displacements and microdisplacements really easy to render (in LW/maxwell/kray makes an eternal render time)
    -fresnel (physical) for ref and transp
    -blury ref, instead of gloss
    -fast sss/nice aa/great light calc.

So I start thinking about, why not Vray for Lw? maybe the answer is: a rejecting community... pointless... like pushing for a planet cubic/plane shape, center of universe generations ago
    Last edited by BERSEKAEL; 02-24-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Because as pointed out earlier, some people around here don't want the native render engine to get neglected because everyone is using Vray. Vray, if it's anything like the Vray in other animation packages would be able to bring Hair, Volumetrics, Bucket rendering with displacements, and has all around faster GI for animation etc. The fear is that all of a sudden Vray disappears or development goes to crap for whatever reason. Not that Chaos Group is that flaky as some developers have been about LW but I guess it's possible.

well, no1 said neglected, LW users can use the native render and dont get involve in Vray, however Vray should be an option for the other half of LW users, however could be a different reason, like "half voters are afraid Vray is better and reject to learn new tools"

In architecture when we build/improve a new area, all the time about a 40% will be against updates in urban areas due to collective memory or afraid of changes on life style due to new areas around... is a human reaction to say NO to innovations, and then is another human reaction to say "I didn't say I wont like it" when they already love it after facing that fear and trying those upgrades around.

In this particular case I wish I could have Vray as an option in LW... Who knows maybe some particular group dreams in Octane (which feels like the not so new Arion/Fry render system) and relies on hopes of future versions and upgrades... but as a real fact, Vray is there and its been there for some years, puting LW common renders in shame.

Question

Has anyone actually written to the developers of Vray and got their input on this matter? I would love to know if they are even considering this or is it just a dream with no drive behind it...?
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Has anyone actually written to the developers of Vray and got their input on this matter? I would love to know if they are even considering this or is it just a dream with no drive behind it...?
    Yeah they told me they won't tell me squat. But they didn't say no we won! Of course I'm not Jim, or Rob or Chuck or Matt, Or Lino or Antti etc.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast