Thread: Graphics Cards & the quest for awesome ( on a budget)

Graphics Cards & the quest for awesome ( on a budget)

I think I have just spent the past 4 hours reading countless threads here, reviews, specifications, and flat out propaganda concerning what graphics card to buy.

Why is this such a daunting task? I am on the cusp of building a new system, however..
    I need to replace the card in my old system to get through my current project.

For a big animation house with a hefty budget, loading up on a big boy card is no big deal. However, a freelancer such as myself who uses LW10 but also spends a large portion of thier time in Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator CS 5.5, I am more confused than ever before. Not just this replacement card, but for a new machine, the answers are all over the board. I dont want to make the same mistake as before ( Nvidia SLI card.. absolutely NO improvement in LW.. or Photoshop for that matter). Im not a gamer, so this is just for work.

Cuda or no cuda? Would something like a Nvidia Quadro FX 580 (256MB NVIDIA QUADRO FX570 DDR2 PCI-EXPRESS 2DVI/HDCP OEM) be enough meat & potatoes to push medium sized scenes in my old box? Anyone else running one of these right now? I mean, I can grab one off ebay for about $100, but would I be better off spending a few more of my hard earned dollars on something else? This has to carry me for at least another 2 months.

Once the new machine is built, this one will go to the render farm.
    <insert clever signature here>

You may have seen this thread, if not, there are 3 screen shots with my GTX280 (BFG Nvidia)
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125147

Once your box is on the farm you can take the graphics card out, you only need a GC to set up the box or if you are having problems with the box etc.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB