Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lucky one

The lucky one

Got inspired again!
    I found the ladybug model on the net, then modified and textured. Some grass is real geometry and the rest is instanced with DP. Please c&c, I would like to hear from you what could be done better! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINAL 01.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	101460  

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Trying to find something to crit, but I can't. SSS on the wings/shell?

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Nice, job!

I think that you could improve "Elytra" = wings texture, it looks bit dull.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...agnifica01.jpg

Also, I would like to see more bluish tone everywhere...
    if the sky is blue?

Good job.
    www.tonikasurinen.fi

MacBook Pro 13-inch | Intel Core i5 @ 2.7GHz | 8GB RAM | OSX El Capitan
    LightWave 2015.3 | ZBrush 4R7 P3

Awesome!

I think a bended or diagonal leaf/stem makes a better image composition apart from a more blurred background... I take macro photographs and that blurred background would make the picture more realistic.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ures&FORM=BIFD

Vector

It is a very nice image.

What to change? Grasping at straws really..but here goes.

It seems to me that the background would be more blurred (as stated by vector)
    Also, there may be blur on the edges (top and bottom) as well.
    The singular blade of grass seems out of place somehow. For some reason I think of grass as growing tufts of blades and not singularly. Adding four blades (or so) just behind the image with them just ever so slightly out of focus to play up the "macro" style of the image.

Again, just guessing. Not positive that these things would actually improve your image.

Good job, Sir.

Hi! Thanks for commenting!
    I decided to go with a warmer mood, so the image looks a bit orange, sort of soon in the morning or late afternoon time. But here's a bluish version.

I will try a different composition with some blades closer to the camera, but I'm not sure the result will be better, I'll have to see it with dof applyied.
    The texture could seem a bit dull - too uniform indeed - but this is my knowledge of photoshop . After staring at that photo for 10 minutes I still can't see how I could improve the texture technically. Maybe some orange variations and a different bump... I really don't know.
    There's no SSS on the ladybug, just simple texturing, but there's SSS on the main grass blade, barely noticeable though.

Name:	FINAL 01 b.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	101512  

Excellent work. I hope this will go to the gallery section.

It's very nice. You could try different camera angle, but this one is also cool. The key factor is light. Exposing the main thing and reducing the influence of the composition's rest is a goal. Picture should talk. When grading separate highlights, midtones and shadows, do not tone map complete picture with one color.
    I did small color grading just for fun, hope you don't mind.
    Tell me what you think?

Name:	Ladybug.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	101515  
    Last edited by MDSPECIFIC; 02-06-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Oh, this is lovely, but look at this photo:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e/BIEDRONA.JPG
    the crumple on the kitin is a bit too rough I guess

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSPECIFIC View Post
    It's very nice. You could try different camera angle, but this one is also cool. The key factor is light. Exposing the main thing and reducing the influence of the composition's rest is a goal. Picture should talk. When grading separate highlights, midtones and shadows, do not tone map complete picture with one color.
    Tell me what you think?
    Love the camera highlights through the water droplets.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by MDSPECIFIC View Post
    Tell me what you think?
    Sure I don't mind! That's why I post here, in fact it is a great idea to expose the background. I didn't think about it. I don't like the flares thou, so you won't see them on my version.
    About the grading, I actually didn't grade all with same colours, I did it kinda random, at liking. But maybe I didn't understand what you wanted to say. I'll post the final version anytime soon, when I'll have some time.

The bump on the wings is too strong, I see it now even more after the unsharpening in ps...This model wasn't made for such a closeup, so I put just a crumle or a turbolence bump, I should've made a custom bump. Next time.

just make the amplitude smaller and choose a texture which is not so contrasty, that should be sufficient I guess, and you can mask out areas with weight maps so no need for UVing, you use the gradient/weight map combo on top of your procedural and play with it

Revision: eh, you dont need even weight maps, just a slightly subtler texture, like fbm or whatever, but not crumple
    Last edited by bazsa73; 02-07-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Here's the final version, still not perfect, I know...
    I tried the fbm on bump, and it's much better, but you can't see much difference unless you zoom in, and since I already sent the image for printing I didn't feel like rerendering and post the whole stuff again.
    I just hope you like it a bit anyway!

Name:	Ladybug.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	101575  

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    I just hope you like it a bit anyway!

What do you mean? It is sooooooooooooo great! I love it! REALLY! Congrats, very well done!
    Ground control to Major Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MAUROCOR View Post
    What do you mean? It is sooooooooooooo great! I love it! REALLY! Congrats, very well done!
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast