Thread: Can an photo/video be integrated with an animation?

Can an photo/video be integrated with an animation?

I know that an animation can be integrated with a video or photo, by making the video the backdrop of the animation, but is it possible to make the animation the backdrop of a video.

For example: With the video backdrop, I can make it look light a cartoon character in the real world.

With the animation backdrop, I can make it look light a cartoon character in the real world.

With a video backdrop, I would be able to make it look light a real human character in a cartoon world. That's what I'm trying to figure out. (Like Cool World and Space Jam)

Yes. You can set an AVI or MOV or even an image sequence as the backdrop.

I may be misunderstanding you but your examples seem confused (you say "cartoon in the real world" in both situations.)
    A cartoon background would be used to make it look like a real person is in a cartoon. Think of MARY POPPINS as an example.

A video background is used to make an animated character look like they are in the real world. I think WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT is a good example of this.

Yes, that was a typo. I meant to refer to the example you set in the first picture with Mary Poppins. How can I make it look like a real human actor is in a cartoon world?

Blue or Green screen footage. Then you use a chromakey to remove the background.

(Chroma-key= chroma being color, this type of key removes the designated color(range) There is also something called Lumakey. Luma-key= Luma referring to light, this type of key removes a white or black value(range)

Many web cams come with primitive versions of these things. Good results however can require more work.

One thing to be aware of is that the color you want to remove should be absent from the object you want in the foreground. Otherwise your person/object will look like it has holes in it or parts missing.

If you use Google you can find more detailed information about greenscreen techniques.

Another method is masking out around the characters. This is much more labor intensive, but Adobe introduced some great tools to help automate this process just last year.

Again, Google is your friend.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Dexter2999; 02-23-2012 at 01:17 PM.