Thread: Parenting problem

Parenting problem

I have posted a thread a few weeks back about how to move 2 eyeballs at the same time. I found out that you had 2 nulls that the 2 eyeballs followed by target and 1 master null that controlled them. After implementing it with my actual character, the eyeballs do not stay with the character when moved by bones, even though i have parented them to the body. Ive tried restarting layout but no luck sadly.

Thanks

You parented the null to the bone in the head?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

I've parented the left and right eyeball to the characters body that's being controlled with bones. I had to put the left and right eyeball onto seperate layers so they can target a left and right null that are both parented to a master eye controller. But as soon as I deform the body with my bones, both eyeballs stay exactly were they are and don't follow the body as they did when everything was in the same layer within modeller. My body is pointing down the z+ axis. I can post a picture but will have to be tomorrow now sadly

Thanks

Right...but did you parent the eyes to the bone that deforms the head or did you parent the eyes to the model of the body? The bones are what's deforming your mesh now. So your eyeballs need to be parented to the bone that's moving your head.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Ah I see. No, only the body of the model. I will try that first thing tomorrow

Yes the both eyeballs are parented to the body only. So if parenting to the head bone is the case, is it best to only use one bone for the whole head?

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by daz1761 View Post

Yes the both eyeballs are parented to the body only. So if parenting to the head bone is the case, is it best to only use one bone for the whole head?
    No, you can use whatever bones you need to properly control/deform your mesh. I'm assuming you have one bone to control the rotations in the head though, so that would be the bone to parent your eyes to.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Yes, 1 bone only

Great stuff will crack on tomorrow

Thanks

Works a treat, thanks!

I don't know if this is a bug with lightwave 10.1, but when i centered the pivot for both eyeballs in modeler, only the left eye was centered. The right eye, I had to center as close as i could get it in layout.

Quote Originally Posted by daz1761 View Post
    Works a treat, thanks!

I don't know if this is a bug with lightwave 10.1, but when i centered the pivot for both eyeballs in modeler, only the left eye was centered. The right eye, I had to center as close as i could get it in layout.
    The pivot tool might work on only one layer at a time. So if you had multiple layers enabled then the pivot tool would only work on one. You probably need to adjust the pivot on multiple layers one at a time.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel