Thread: Efficient Modeler tool

Efficient Modeler tool

i cant tell you how often im switching back and forth between wireframe and textured wire when welding points together.(when i cant use the merge tool)
    I wish there were a keyboard shortcut to toggle between those 2 viewing modes. how hard could that be to implement? is there a 3rd party program out there somewhere that will help me?

TrueArt Support
    It's not possible to change viewport parameters from plugin, now.
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2019
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.ph...76&postcount=4
    It's what you want. Ctrl+NumpadNumber will save the currect scheme, then when you press the NumpadNumber it will load it.
    I got 3 set up: Textured Wireframe, Textured and Color Wireframe.

I totally feel your pain about welding vertices and such. Improvements LW needs on the mesh display:

A: You don't have a view where you see polygons and vertces. Only edges and polygons, or edges and vertices. And never the 3 of them. I have to go from Textured Wireframe to Color Wireframe to be able to see vertices

B: Transparency and Anti-Aliasing, being the first more important. Having 100% opaque display makes no sense in most situations and forces you to go from Textured Wireframe to Textured, to see the surface better.

\/ Attached an example of what Textured Wireframe should be more like. Object with texture, wireframe and vertices with different color and/or transparency.

This way I can stick to one rendering style 99% of the time since I see it all of the front-face geometry.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	99818  
    Last edited by probiner; 11-25-2011 at 05:13 PM.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    \/ Attached an example of what Textured Wireframe should be more like. Object with texture, wireframe and vertices with different color and/or transparency.
    Especially in Layout should look like this.
    I even set up feature request for it yesterday
    https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.a...dgmc0j4vq8g59k

Currently Wireframe modes in Layout when there are sub-patches in object, is almost completely useless because of all these internal sub-patch lines showing thousands/millions triangles..
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2019
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

That's also true and has been pointed to be a visualization problem several times.

So to sum it up:

- Textured Wireframe: Vertices; Elements with transparency. Layout and Modeler (options)
    - Subdivision wireframe like modeler for Layout (option)

Cheers
    Last edited by probiner; 11-25-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Bump

A Catmull-Clark surface with some Edge Weight | Selection highlight.

____________What we got _________________________How it optionally could be by default

Wireframe with toggable options like:

- Vertices display. LW hasn't a single viewport mode with Vertices and Edges display, plus shaded surface.

- Wireframe Transparency. 100% opacity Wireframe forces one to turn it off to evaluate the surface.

- Subdivision Wireframe in Layout like in Modeler with options for tesselation display: None; Quads (divisions); Triangles (render)

- When an item or it's elements are selected, only highlight the silhouette of items or just the Front Facing elements; NOT all elements in see-through. While it's useful many times, See-Through selection display can be an big mess.

- Wireframe Anti-Aliasing. Sometimes a Screengrab is all you need and having wires with AA is great. Faked in my image by scaling down.

A viewport behaving like this could be used like 90% of the time in modeler and layout (VPR aside), since vertices are seen, surface is not covered by edges and subdivisions and selections are visible but not a messy.

Cheers
    Last edited by probiner; 03-15-2012 at 11:38 PM.