Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments on Battlefield 3 anyone? Here's mine.

Comments on Battlefield 3 anyone? Here's mine.

I think I need to start playing the multiplayer portion of the game, as the campaign is putting me to sleep. How is it possible that a big budget FPS campaign be so bad when the developers probably spent more time on it then the multiplayer? Have we not progressed in game design in the last 30 years? Apparently not. Developers don't seem to be tackling the biggest issue with single player campaigns – artificial intelligence. Huge amounts of scientific research and effort is put into dynamic simulations and 3D graphics, but the AI hasn’t progressed in 30 years. The designers/programmers are still after 30 years relying on invisible trigger spots and QT events to move the game along. The developer will no doubt claim that all this is to move the story along. Story? It’s a video game for goodness sake! If I want a story I’ll read a book or watch a movie. I play ping-pong with my son, there’s no story there – just fun. Video game designers need to think fun first and then if they want to make a story of it, fine put it in there. Where is the fun in the designer holding your hand through the whole game – “go here do this and then go over there and do that. Oh, BTW you better do it in this order because we are poor designers/coders and if you try to get through the level your way you’ll never finish.” Early in the game you are with your squad on a roof pinned down by a "sniper" from an adjacent hi-res hotel. You are told to follow your squad going cover to cover behind AC units etc. Well I thought (stupid me) that I would make a run for it and go to the right and take cover behind the short brick wall. There were openings in the wall and I was able to find the “sniper” behind a window. The position of the “sniper” was given away by a glint from his scope. Well, stupid me, I thought I would take him out with my sniper. I unloaded round after round into that glint, after about 5 minutes of that I realized that there probably really wasn’t a “sniper” there -only a magic bullet that instantly killed you if you got up. BTW while I’m out there trying to take out that “sniper” the rest of my squad is cowering behind one of several AC units. It wasn’t until I died and started that section again and I hopped from cover to cover following my squad that I was rewarded with a rocket launcher to take out that whole floor and therefore the “sniper”. I’m convinced that I could have fired that rocket launcher up into the sky and it would have still killed that “sniper” – but stupid me, I actually aimed. What crap. BF3’s campaign is a laugher. The 2011 version Dragon's Lair. Please be warned, if you are a single player gamer, there is no fun to be had with BF3. I’ll report on the multiplayer as soon as I get the chance.
    Last edited by Snosrap; 10-30-2011 at 12:18 AM.

I played the Beta... Snipers suck... back to BFBC2... =)
    BF3 want full speed on visuals. But I think some of them are just noise for a gaming stand point.

You most understand that most fps hardcore players are MP gamers. They look to test they're skill and intelligence against other skills and intelligences, something you can't do against an AI without facing dumb-mode or god-mode AI.
    Best way to enjoy it would be within a Teamspeaker.

Cheers

yup, the campaign mode in bf3 is just trianing imho. bf2 had no campaign. bf is mp.
    the most irritating thing about bf3 (pc) is the webbrowser based battlelog. maybe this is good in some situations or for some type of players, but i dont like. but i just started playing bf3... maybe i will like it eventually.
    my website: www.andymeyer.ch
    Supermicro 7047A-T/X9DAi: dual E5-2687 8C/16T @3.1ghz | 64GB Ram | nVidia GTX680-4gb (301.42) | Win7 64 Bit (SP1) |
    display 30"+30"+22" | 13 rendernodes, 54 cores

there is no sanctuary....
    Yep, everything you say about the SP is true. The voice acting isn't bad, but a real plot would be nicer. It's basically on rails, I got a little farther than your post and went straight for the MP. Don't know if I'll ever finish it. Tried the multiplayer on Friday, turned on all the USA servers and there were a grand total of 26 active for the millions of copies sold. Getting in and staying in a game was problematic, typical EA launch.

I'm Redeyes on xbox live if you're a console gamer.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.0 x64
    Space Navigator

I got to the point where you crawl through the window on onto the toilet to get into the hotel and flank the enemy. I couldn't get by the bad guy that jumps my comrade and I, so after a half dozen attempts I decided to screw it and move on to multiplayer. MP seems to be where it’s at. I played for about two hours yesterday and really enjoyed it. The maps are huge. I’m on Xbox Live as Snosrap.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    The campaign is just a "freebie" for those that like that sort of thing. The MP is the meat of the game and is meant to be what BF is all about. I actually like the campaign, but it's not meant to be anything more than an extra mode thrown in. Don't put too much stock into it. Try the Coop mode also -- lots of fun there.

Stuff
    BF is definitely MP.
    Andrewstopheles

Exclamation

Yep, scripted, scripted, scripted - definitely learned to make sure my games aren't the same!

Glad to see my internal feeling about the campaign game play are being validated by similar experiences from others - it's not "just me".

I'll try the multiplayer next...

-Will
    "With THIS!, you could be like GOD!" - Kozer, Blake's 7

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    The 2011 version Dragon's Lair.
    Then Matt should digg it!

I really enjoy the BF series, for what they are, good team based multyplayer games. I don't really enjoy single player first person shooters anymore, the last one that I had fun with was Halo 1. I might have played too many of them or something but I find myself mid game now just wanting them to end. On the otherhand.. Online is like an addiction. I always want just one more game.. and another..

Dangit we lost.. I can't go go bed defeated.. besides I know how I can beat this guys now. ahh that was close.. we'll get them on the next round.. finally a win! we rule.. I'll just own these noobs one more time before bed.. yes! now I'm too pumped up to go to bed.. are those birds singing in game or outside? OMG sun is comming out..

I haven't played it yet, only seen some in game footage. It looks too real to me. I was happy with BF 1942.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    I played the Beta... Snipers suck... back to BFBC2... =)
    Get your player up and sniper rocks..
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Quote Originally Posted by MSherak View Post
    ..and sniper rocks..
    really, you want to go there?

I agree with a lot of the comments. I've only gotten through some of the campaign, but basically its one of those games that just force you down a pretty pre-animated path. It's lame.

I tried to snipe that dude in the window too.. as soon as I realized you had to get him with the rocket, i was really disappointed. The best games have tons of solutions to the same problems. Baulder's Gate? You could literally get put in over your head, out numbered, out leveled, and somehow you could figure a way through the battle and when you finished you were so pumped up you couldn't help but fall in love with the game.

There was another early moment in the game that made me roll my eyes.. There was some RPG guys in a dark windows and you were placed in some parking lot area and just had to shoot at a bunch of guys coming at you. Well I advanced and got on their flank (who wouldn't?) and at one point i found a crack in a wall that let me at the perfect flank and it gave me out of mission zone warning.. I was thinking are you kidding me!? it's 2 feet over and the dudes are right there.. wow.. feels so real... not.

The BF2 multiplayer was a blast though, so I'm really hoping BF3 is too. I'm going to try it out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 4dartist View Post
    The BF2 multiplayer was a blast though, so I'm really hoping BF3 is too. I'm going to try it out tonight.
    I'm having fun with it. I can't imagine anyone not. I never played Baulder's Gate, but I know what you mean by multiple solutions. I think the biggest obstacle is that a lot of todays studios - DICE,Infinity Ward and others - don't really want to make games. They would much rather be making movies. So they set out to make these interactive movies instead of concentrating on making a game. One of my favorite games is Halo and I played that game through more than a half a dozen times and I have read in the magazines/internet that there is a story in that game as well. Never really knew it or cared, Halo is a game first and foremost. If i were a game developer I'd concentrate on giving the player the control and latitude to play how they want, BF3's campaign is a "follow the blue triangle and do what your told in the order we've decided for you" game. I don't even want to call it a game it would have been more enjoyable if I could have hit a "play" button and just sat back and watched.

BF3 is really great, i just have not enought spare time at the moment :-( BF3 is much more complicated than BF2, needs some time to get familiar with... maybe it's my age :-) but it rocks!
    my website: www.andymeyer.ch
    Supermicro 7047A-T/X9DAi: dual E5-2687 8C/16T @3.1ghz | 64GB Ram | nVidia GTX680-4gb (301.42) | Win7 64 Bit (SP1) |
    display 30"+30"+22" | 13 rendernodes, 54 cores

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast