Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HD-SDI Cable Runs

HD-SDI Cable Runs

I'm shooting HD with various cameras (EX cams and some Panasonic HD P2 cams). I've got some long runs to go....up to 500' and beyond sometimes. What cables do you guys recommend for these long runs without having to boost the signal?

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    While you can go 500' with some of the newer higher quality RG6 class shielded coax using HD-SDI, anything over 500' is a hit and miss without reclocking the signal with a DA or reclocker.

If you need to go further then Fiber is finally an affordable (relatively) option. The new BMD atem camera fiber convertors are $595 on the camera end with a 4 unit rackmount coming out in Nov for $1995. So a little over $1000 per camera run plus your fiber cost which is under $2 per foot for tactical grade heavy duty fiber.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

what about connecting to 250' cables? Does using a connector effect it any?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb View Post
    what about connecting to 250' cables? Does using a connector effect it any?
    Yes definitely. Barrel (Female to Female) BNC connectors are discouraged against using. If you have to use a barrel then it is imperative to make sure that it is a 75Ohm version not the cheaper 50ohm ones you find at RadioShack. We use Canare 75Ohm barrels if we have no choice. Same ones we use on Panel Mount Pass thrus.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

I'm going to be shooting and live switching football games and live concerts. So probably the best thing to do is to get the longest HD-SDI cables I can...instead of getting shorter ones and linking them?

Also, what if I ran my video signal from an sd-sdi or preview out from the camera? That's not delivering an HD signal is it?

If its sd sdi, it by definition is not hd sdi.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Here's the thing

The thing with HD SDI is that it's all or nothing, you either know for sure you can 500' on this cable (which I can almost guarantee you won't be able to do) and the point is moot or, the more likely, is that you don't know for sure almost certainly going to need one reclocking da (AT LEAST) per 500' run in which case there, you go. Plug in a monitor and a camera and plug it in. The unfortunate thing these days is that standards in specs are pretty loosey goosey on the part of the electronics makers and the cable makers so I never believe a word of what they say until I see it working on MY cable and MY camera.

..but I've been accused of being paranoid for a living, I'm a TD

ok...how about this thought?

What if I did a short 5' or so run of HD-SDI off the camera...converted from bnc to triax....run my long run through the triax cable...then back to short HDSDI cable in to the tricaster? Would all the connectors kill it? Or could I get a triax cable made with a bnc connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb View Post
    ok...how about this thought?

What if I did a short 5' or so run of HD-SDI off the camera...converted from bnc to triax....run my long run through the triax cable...then back to short HDSDI cable in to the tricaster? Would all the connectors kill it? Or could I get a triax cable made with a bnc connector?
    Do you have Triax already ran?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

no i don't

Purdue Technologist vanderwielen's Avatar
    I'd suggest stop guessing. look up the loss specifications for the exact cable you are using. then, determine the length that results in a 23 db loss at 1/2 of the clock rate or 750 MHZ for HDSDI. Generally, a solid center conductor works better than stranded and a thicker cable works better than a skinny one. if you simply want an answer, use Canare LV77S at 300' and it will work. Belden 1694 works, but has a solid center conducter and is therefore problematic when used on sidelines or handhelds.

Are you using any of the other features usually associated with triax? Camera power, ccu, return video?

Do you already own the triax?

Triax to BNC adaptive are easy enough to come by, and if you already have the cable inventory, might as well use it. But certainly don't BUY triax for this purpose.

At 500' you're pushing it. Test thoroughly before the show. If you're doing more than a few of these, absolutely buy a fiber solution. If this long of a run is rare for you, you could just rent something.
    www.avprva.com

I'm not quessing...I'm asking. I'm new to this and don't know all the requirements of HDSDI and all the math equation to figure signal loss. I just need to know what I need to make runs from 500' - 1000' ....300' is not enough...and I don't want to buy a bunch of signal amplifiers.

Just want to know my options. I know I could do fiber...but that's a lot more money.

i don't own any triax already...and I won't be using all the other options of power and ccu

I've looked at the fiber option...seems so much more expensive. And it made me a bit confused as there are a bunch of options for fiber. Suggestions?

The standard option has for a while been the Aja Fido or the Telecast Rattler. But for another hundred bucks you can get the BMD camera converters with so much more power.. Headset, return video, multi-format inputs.

So that's my recommendation. Foot for foot, fiber is only barely more expensive than mid grade coax. And at a thousand feed, ther is no decision to be made. You're doing fiber.

Depending on the production, we sometimes do a hub system. Sdi coax to a hub, and fiber from there to FOH or the truck. But that's only because we already have 300' camera looms built with coax, and the hub system works well for concerts, basketball, and fights.

If we were building a new rig from scratch, it would be all fiber to the cameras. If only we could get power over fiber!
    www.avprva.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast