Thread: Another Dynamics Question

Another Dynamics Question

I have just finished my domino style task to the best of my ability after "Mr Rid's" very helpful advice, and I have some questions about the dynamics engine in general.

1, is it normal for LW10 to reset all the dynamic calculations when layout document is re loaded the next day?

2, is it also normal for LW10 to re calculate all the dynamics differently when the layout document is reloaded? If so this is very annoying as I have camera shake on a specific frame that I have to keep changing.

3, is it normal even though the both self interact options are set to box that the objects still fall through each other?

Extending on question 3, I have basically had to place all my dominoes in a way so that non of them sit on top of each other which is kinda sad really as it would of looked more natural if they did

4, Is it normal for the dynamics engine to loose the plot when I tried to spice up the look of the dominoes by beveling in some holes so i could color them in to make them look more like dominoes?

5, Could I get my scene to look any better with further advanced setting that would maybe sort out my question number 3?

I have attached a .mov file of my work so far

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by daz1761 View Post
    4, Is it normal for the dynamics engine to loose the plot
    I have serious doubts it ever had the plot in the first place, or even knew a plot existed at all.

As for 1-4, yes, I've seen it routinely do all the things you describe. I've never had much luck getting it to properly handle objects once it starts "ignoring" them, either. In answer to your question 5, I've never reliably found such a setting.

Taking the resolution as high as you can tolerate *might* sometimes get LW's dynamics to "settle down" a bit, but as often makes things worse instead.

If you persevere, you should be able to get reasonably close to what you want given enough time. Unfortunately, as others already mentioned, you'll probably find it far more time-efficient to use iBounce or some other pkg's dynamics versus trying to get LW's dynamics to behave the way you want.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

1, is it normal for LW10 to reset all the dynamic calculations when layout document is re loaded the next day?
    Yes, use the Save button on the Files tab of the dynamic to save the motion to a file for next time. Alternatively, if you have a lot of dynamic objects, use the FX browser's Save button which will pop up a requester for each dynamic, and save going through a lot of panels.

2, is it also normal for LW10 to re calculate all the dynamics differently when the layout document is reloaded? If so this is very annoying as I have camera shake on a specific frame that I have to keep changing.
    See 1 to save the motion and thus not have to recalculate.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    Yes, use the Save button on the Files tab of the dynamic to save the motion to a file for next time. Alternatively, if you have a lot of dynamic objects, use the FX browser's Save button which will pop up a requester for each dynamic, and save going through a lot of panels.
    Thank you, very informative as I will definitely be using that feature from now on

If you persevere, you should be able to get reasonably close to what you want given enough time. Unfortunately, as others already mentioned, you'll probably find it far more time-efficient to use iBounce or some other pkg's dynamics versus trying to get LW's dynamics to behave the way you want.
    Again, thank you for your advice but sorry for sounding thick but what's ibounce and how do I get hold of it or install etc?

Thanks in advance.