Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modeling Challenge / Cash Prize

Modeling Challenge / Cash Prize

Good news, Bad news.

Good news, I have a job and am hell busy.

Bad news, see above.

I need to pawn off some modeling work and am happy to pay the person who comes up with the best product. I have used this method on this forum in the past and it has worked very well, for me and the winner of the cash prize. So here it is...

http://www.patrickkellystudios.com/Mask/Mask-001.jpg

http://www.patrickkellystudios.com/Mask/Mask-002.jpg

I am using Lightwave 10.1, but don't care what you use to model it, so long as it is fully compatible.

Since I have had little sleep in the last two weeks, I am feeling generous, so let's say $250 to the best submission.

OK, get to it. I will be shooting in the studio with our new Red Epic cameras today and might be slow to respond to questions.

I will publicly announce the winner, and if you happen to be friends with that person, they will have money for beer.
    It has to work. I'll make it work. It will work even if I have to sacrifice a virgin.

Will you post the Submissions?

Hey,
    I am very new to Lightwave and have been heavily inspired by looking at the work that you guys do. I was hoping that you would post the submissions so we can see what the results look like.

Thanks,
    Mike

What an ingenious idea for cheap labor.

Ninok, for the right animator, this will be a walk in the park, for others, it will pose a challenge. Any change you want to take a stab at it?

c5m7b4, I will most certainly post up the winning submission.
    It has to work. I'll make it work. It will work even if I have to sacrifice a virgin.

When do you need this PK?

I suck so I won't be submitting anything but at first glance it looks like a chain link fence mesh with backing material...apply cloth effects.

Then much much much tweaking.

Patrick, just out of curiosity, rather than have 20 people work on something for you and only one of them getting paid, why don't you ask to see some examples and just hire one modeler to do the job and get paid? Finding a good modeler here will not be a problem.

And everyone else... Why would you do commercial work for someone for no pay? This is not a contest. This is a paying job for Patrick. Not trying to be disrespectful to anyone either, btw.
    Last edited by JeffrySG; 09-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.

/\ Feel the same.

I'll do it twice as well as the best submission for $100.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

And everyone else... Why would you do commercial work for someone for no pay? This is not a contest. This is a paying job for Patrick. Not trying to be disrespectful to anyone either, btw.
    @Jefferysg, thanks for the article link, very interesting!
    DG Grafix
    Don Terrell
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    www.donterrell.com
    www.dggrafix.com

All things are possible through Christ!

hrgiger, I would like to start setting up my scenes early next week.

Dexter2999, you might be correct in your approach.

JeffrySG, you make a good point, but because this is a challenge to me, the wide variety of solutions that will be presented will benefit each of us, unless of course there is only one way to model this thing, which I doubt. This is a gamble of course and I don't expect ANYONE to spend time on this if they can not afford to do so. And unlike some "I'll take care of you next time" ********, I have clearly offered to pay for the finished product. The right modeler, with the right solution can knock this this out in half a day. I think that $250 for a half day is a fair pay rate. Now if you struggle to find the solution, and it takes you 2 days, well then you are working pretty cheep. I am looking for the right guy with the right solution.

Iain, no way, a deal is a deal. I have hired other animators from this forum and will not do anything to sour that resource.

I am not only looking to buy a finished product, but to also learn different ways to do it. The vast experience of this forum will present ways of doing this project that I would have never thought of, and I have been using Lightwave since it was bundled with the Toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickkelly View Post

Iain, no way, a deal is a deal. I have hired other animators from this forum and will not do anything to sour that resource.
    Sorry, I was joking. I'd never enter into anything like this this because I don't work for nothing-its against the few principles I do have.

And no matter how you pitch this that's what it is because every entrant will be really hoping to 'win'.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

I think this is a great idea, at least for those of us looking to hone our skills, while getting a job with a real company is out of our reach, things like this help to feed the resumes. I think I may try my hand at it when I get home from the day job.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

Dear Amigo:

My skill is not good enough to tackle this job.
    But I want to tell you I really appreciate this challenge.
    This means sometime in the future, I will have a chance to get
    a small contract from you.
    Please keep bringing these challenges for cash.
    I might be able to take a stab at it.
    Thanks !!!

Rednova
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

I love the idea. That is going to make me work harder. For those of us who are very new to 3D modeling and Lightwave it definately gives us something to look forward to. I absolutely see the point if your profession is already in this field though. Hopefully I'll be able to participate soon. It would be the only real way to build up a resume without a degree in the field or knowing someone in the right place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast