Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is your backup technique?

Which is your backup technique?

Hi guys which is your backup techniques?

copy>paste :]

use "search"... (top row) there are some threads on it ;]
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Local data on 3 disc RAID5, copied daily onto network storage (3x1TB RAID5 + 1TB hot spare).

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    copy>paste :]
    Thats what I do each night.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

I use a Raid 1 with 2 2TB hard drives with two 2TB external drives that I swap out each week which are stored in a safety deposit box.

The backup software I use is Aronis True Image 2012. I also copy the Acronis True Image Software and CD key to a CD, and I also create a bootable recovery CD from the installed TrueImage software that is installed on my system. These two CDs' are also stored in my safety deposit box. Note that you can also use a fire proof container, but make sure that you store it in the basement because these containers are usually rate for an hour at most and fire tends to move upward as its fuel is expended.

My backup scheme is one full and six differential backups per week. Differentials store only that change in the hard drive since the last full backup so they are smaller in size than a full backup. For example my first full backup is 515 GB, that next differential is 516 MB, the next differential is 1.2 GB etc.

If you encrypt data on your computer, you will need to export your encryption key to a file and either save it on a CD and store it somewhere safe, or send it to yourself through an external email account such as hotmail, Gmail, etc.

I you should lost your data due to a fire such as I have, you can use Seagate's I386 service to recover your data. My original 1 TB hard drive costed me $1200 to recover. So now you know why I am so paranoid.

Note that I currently have about 252 programs installed in my new system. Also note that Acronis True image 2012 will allow you to restore your backup image over new hardware. Acronis True Image will also allow you to open your backup images and recover individual files is you need them. And one other neat feature of Acronis True image is that once you register the software on their web site, the install files and CD keys can be downloaded at any time should you lose your local copy.

Rich

I was looking into using an online backup service, but I have Comcast as an Internet provider, so I have a 250 GB limit per month, and since my data is over 500 GBs, it would be impracticable for me to use an online service.

Rich

RAID 1 w/1 TB box + gigabit ethernet + Create Synchronicity.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    I guess I'd better state that I use Windows 7's backup utility to save the data from the workstations to the NAS. I used to use a 'professional' backup tool (can't even remember what it was called) but the windows one seems to do more for less (free).

Hmm...

At home I always work towards my fileserver. The folder structure that is related to content is automaticly backed up by the server to a second disc, using this tool. It is setup to backup on filechanges, so only the files that are changed are copied over.

Every now and then I also use another tool that copies the same stuff over to a USB drive, but this one also zip the content.

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Internal two disc Raid 0 (4TB) that is constantly on via Time Machine backing up SSD system drive and 2TB content drive + external Raid 5 (6TB) that is used for weekly-ish backups of the system + storage. Redundancy FTW Looking for an off site solution too. Any suggestions?
    Petter Sundnes
    Free LScripts

12TB Windows Home Server with folder duplication. I don't have an offsite solution unfortunately.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Quote Originally Posted by MentalFish View Post
    Internal two disc Raid 0 (4TB) that is constantly on via Time Machine backing up SSD system drive and 2TB content drive + external Raid 5 (6TB) that is used for weekly-ish backups of the system + storage. Redundancy FTW Looking for an off site solution too. Any suggestions?
    another cool Avatar, hehe... :]

think i'd just buy an extra HDD,
    and use a simple free app to copy the data to the other drive each night...
     
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Stuff
    Microsoft SyncToy and a second HD.
    Also once in a while Archive a copy of the whole thing onto a third portable drive in case of electric shock or fire.
    Andrewstopheles

I'm surprised to see so many people running RAID. I don't use RAID setups in my systems. They might speed up your data access but they are more prone to failure.

For backup, I have two sources.

1. External Harddrive.
    Once every month I do a full system backup of all my work files to an external hard drive. It is then packed away and awaits next months backup. That way if I do suffer a major crash and lose of data, the most I can loose is one months worth (which can be a hell of a lot too but I'm happy enough to work on that premise).

2. Optical Disc.
    I have a folder on my Desktop called Create Disc. In here, everytime I get a new file online or I create a new file (be it 3D, Word, Prublisher, movies, sounds, whatever), I copy it from its saved location into this folder. When it hits 4.3Gb I burn it off to DVD, delete all the stuff in the folder and start again. Unlike my external harddrive backup, there is no set schedule to when I burn a backup optical disc, it all comes down to when it hits the 4.3Gb mark. When I get a new PC (please let it rain money!!), I'm getting one with a bluray burner in it and then my burn mark will be 25Gb.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    They might speed up your data access but they are more prone to failure.
    I think you may be thinking only of the so-called RAID 0, or stripeset, Paul. While fast, and cheaper, they are definitely not a solution when you are looking for failsafe performance. However the whole notion behind RAID in general is to provide failsafe storage. Several of the other RAID types (1, 1+0, 3 and 5, for instance) provide excellent protection against failure.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast