Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle Legends – Episode 1 – A Cel-Shaded Short Film

Battle Legends – Episode 1 – A Cel-Shaded Short Film

Hello there, my name is Leo Tierney and I have recently completed a short CG film that may interest you all called Battle Legends!

'Battle Legends' is an original story of two young gamers who, against their will, are transported back to a fantastical time with orcs, paladins and dragons, only equipped with their brains and skills to help them survive. It then chronicles their tales as they attempt to get back home or stay.

In this short film I tried to recreate the original feel of 90s anime cartoons that some of us grew up with, but instead of using hand drawn images I created everything with 3d cel shades to give the illusion of 2d images.

I have designed a poster to help promote the film which can be found here -

You may watch the film on YouTube here -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkJ37L2n2TQ

Or, if you prefer, you can watch it on Vimeo here -
    http://vimeo.com/28935278

You can also watch it on my personal website – www.lightsage.net

Enjoy the film!

Excellent work, look forward to Episode 2.
    I can see this as a tv show, very cool.
    Who says Lightwave can't do Character Animation

Blog Entries
    This is really good.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

This gorgeous, nostalgic, and a lot of fun!

Super nerd coolness!

This is well put together. The pace of the story and writing are really well done. It's not boring. There are some odd deformations in some of the characters but the animation in general is pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

good story telling on a budget, looking forward to more episodes
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Love it !

Yeah the animation is very nice, very fluid, well done. The deformations are the biggest problem, with odd shoulders especially, and hand/wrist twisting being dodgy too. Are you using weight maps? Are you using the new Twist function in joints? I use that now with all my wrists, having a joint about 3/4 up the forearm and a joint at the wrist, then turning it on for the wrist joint. Works very well.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Do you want to introduce a chick who saves the a*s*s of the guys. A non-nerd chick makes always a good contrast even if it's a clichι somewhat but makes nice balance between the male geekness and the more earthbound female principle kind of metaphysically.

Now this next part is going to sound petty, but I can't help my reaction. here it is:

- Ogre faces. on the whole i really liked the faces, even the lack of detail around the eyes, it had an 'aeon flux' weirdness which can work well. but the orge faces were not menacing enough, IMO. And they have stubble. So I guess they shave. And I was thinking about that for the next 5 minutes (during the film - "What does an ogre use to shave?"). In a second visit, if it would be done, I wound try to make the faces less human, more "fat green guard at jabba's palace".

I know you didn't ask for crits, I just had to get it off my chest

Otherwise .. Woo hoo!
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Thanks for the comments everyone, its nice to know what fellow Lightwave artists think of this

The rig that I created for these characters was rather limiting and simple, it was also rather awkward when trying to import rigs from other scenes but that's a rant for another day. If anyone has any links to handy biped rig tutorials, please let me know!

While I do plan on having female characters in the episodes following, I'll probably be keeping their roles as love interests, I never really liked the idea of scantily clad women fighting off against full plated warriors. That might change however...

As for the whole orc face thing, they aren't as scary as I would like and I do plan on adjusting everything for each episode to make sure it feels better. However, those fat, green, tusked blobs from JEDI where never that scary.
    And I assume orcs shaved before the battle so they wouldn't have their beards getting in the way of combat, but if it makes you happy I'll try and give the orc leader a big bushy chin
    I'm always looking for crits by the way, to try and find out what people like or dislike, so don't hold back!

But anyhoo, thanks for comments everyone!

You've already read my comments in other forums/places, but I'll add that the minor technicalities (shoulder/wrist deformations), didn't detract at all from my overall enjoyment of this piece. I actually feel people are generally obsessed with perfection so much that they forget that in the end it all boils down to whether it was enjoyable to watch or not. There's nothing wrong with wanting your work to look its best... but always remember what the real goal is.

I really liked the pacing... it gives you just enough background about the character's lives to get the audience connected with the animation and avoids going into too much detail. Ironically, the first part of the show is pretty much the story of my life; a turbulent work history and disillusionment towards college, heh. In fact the phone call between Marcus and the employer has to be my favorite part... I guess I'm weird like that. "Thank you for your time and hope to speak to you again soon *click* UUUUGUGHHH!!!"

The voice acting varies in quality. The person who plays Dunther is absolutely amazing and was perfect for the role, the other characters were played well enough, but some lines fell a little flat... again, this didn't detract too much from the overall experience though. If possible later on, you may want to invest in a USB headset (or something better quality) to get rid of the soft staticy feedback in some of the vocals provided, its pretty noticeable in quieter scenes.

As I said, i've always felt your skills lean heavily towards good artistic visuals and less to animation, but I feel both were treated with equal care and subtlety with your work of Battle Legends. A good example of critical attention to detail is when Marcus's glasses slip briefly as he dodges a swinging axe... don't ever feel the extra work you put in goes unnoticed!
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 09-28-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Very creative, indeed!
    Congrats!
    Ground control to Major Tom

Very good storytelling. Sucked me in. The render style+models worked well together. At times I had a hard time telling it was 3d renders, looked like hand drawn 2d! Good and enjoying animation aswell. Thanks for the entertainment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast