Thread: How do I add multiple mocap files?

How do I add multiple mocap files?

I am using the Animeeple mocap files as BVH. I have two motions that I want my character to perform. How do I do this?

Is there a way to automatically have one motion play after the other one? Do I somehow have to combine the BVH files before adding it to my character?

Another thing I tried was to add one motion to my character, then bake a mdd file. Then reload the character and use the md reader to read the mdd file in the deform property of the character. I tried to add multiple deformations but only the last deformation shows when I press play.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by TonyBorf; 09-01-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Well...

first off, soz for not adding more to your alst thread... dont have an animeeple account to download the BVHs you mentioned and couldnt be arsed to create one.

Anyway...

You can do this in LW, using motionmixer or IKB to mix different motion clips together, or order them in a "video edit" style way... that'd take a couple pages of text or a hlaf hour or so of video to explain and guess what....

thats right, cant be arsed.

However... whilst there's noting inherently wrong with BVH, there's no ONE definitive structure thats common to all BVH files, which can make things a lil confusing. Also, while there's nothing wrong with using these motion mixing tools in LW itself... other packages do the same thing far easier, and more intuitively... INCLUDING... the Animeeple app itself.

So here's what Id recommend for the quickest, and most predictable path to getting what you want.

First, do your mixing and fixing outside of LW, either in animaeeple, or motionbuilder if you really feel like splashing out.

Second, whilst you can freely and happily pickup mocap in bvh format... using FBX for the actual working and transfer of motions is gonna be far cleaner, and more predictable, so go the FBX route.

As for the how...

http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

Is basically everything you need to know. Yes there's a LOT of info there, and whilst most of it you dont actually need to trouble yourself with on a day to day basis, having it tucked away somewhere in your head (even loosely) will be a great help.

Yes those vids show and use motionbuilder a LOT... but the basics of the process is no different when using animeeple instead, so its ALL good info.

And last, I say about using the fbx plugin for animaeeple... thats all well and good, but now with LW 10.1 there's no need... when transferring your motion out of animeeple to go back to LW, you can happily use collada, which, once you get into LW will behave basically no different than if it had been an fbx (so in your mind just ignore the fact that you've used collada in the last step and pretend like it were fbx)...

Do all that, and you'll be sorted, promise.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts, I'll give it a try and I'll update my other thread.

rebel hill knows his stuff. his lw-fbx tutorial has helped no end
    yeah alright.... we won a BAFTA http://littleloud.com/work/bsr/

Just to add. I've had good luck using Collada exporting from Animeeple and importing into lightwave. When i start using it more ill pony up for the FBX export however.

Also, export animations only and not the mesh with collada.

I've been using the free fbx conversion tool from autodesk. It can read in the collada and convert it to fbx, so you don't need to buy the plugin. I converted my file to fbx 2010 version and LW seems to like it.
    Last edited by TonyBorf; 09-12-2011 at 06:20 AM.