Thread: Creating hitboxes in LightWave

Blog Entries

Creating hitboxes in LightWave

Creating a character in LightWave to be exported to Unity. We are using the Unity game engine to shoot at targets.

Basically:

Think of a shooting arcade game. Now expand that game so it fits into a live indoor shooting range. On one end of the range is the screen which is now replaced with a self healing screen. Projector is mounted on the top of the ceiling with a laser field to detect the path of the bullet. The shooter is at the other end of the range (25m) away with a real gun.

We created an animated character that is shooting you from an alley. That character needs to be shot of course. Now that I explained what I am trying to do here is the question.

I need to create Hit Boxes on the characters vital areas. How do I create the hit boxes in LightWave and export them out with the character?
    Glen

You would make the hit boxes in Unity. Just make a non-rendering cube (or whatever shape) and link it. Then you'd create a prefab of that character and that's it.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Blog Entries

Thanks!

Thanks! I will try that. I tried to use the same workflow I used in Torque3D but ultimately it is different with Unity3D.

Glen

Let me know how far you get. Also if that doesn't work, you might have to rig the boxes in LW (parent them to the bone) and bring them in that way. Turn off the rendering for those items and from there it's the same.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Blog Entries
    I am working on it now. I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the help!

Glen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamont View Post
    Let me know how far you get. Also if that doesn't work, you might have to rig the boxes in LW (parent them to the bone) and bring them in that way. Turn off the rendering for those items and from there it's the same.

Still working this issue with Hitboxes. It is a back and forth issue. Concentrating more on creating the vehicles and characters right now. They are still having trouble with the Hitboxes in Unity and it is going to force them to revert back to Torque3D if they don't find a way.

Tried developing Hitboxes every way possible but Unity can't recognize the physics code the programmers have written to detect a bullet passing through a laser based motion detector field.

I will still keep you updated as soon as we crack it.

Glen

If you can, send me a sample file with LWO to lamont.gilkey%gmail.com. I am on 9.3.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Blog Entries
    Sorry about that. Didn't forget. I stopped with the character and started working on some props and a vehicle. Let me clean up the character some and I will get it to you. Thanks for the help!

Glen