Thread: STL Import/Export

STL Import/Export

Hello All,

I'm looking to import STL files and export them for creation/modification. These exported models would eventually be printed on a 3D printer.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this on LW10?

I've seen chrome cow recommended, but can't find an active site or recent download to choose out there. I was wondering if anyone had any experience achieving this with Modeler and could pass along a plug-in recommendation.

Thanks,
    Nick

These will import/export STL files. They've worked for me on many a job. They are quite slow so be ready for a long conversion. I believe the conversion of my Tofu toy file (http://appleheadfactory.com/?p=526) took about 30 minutes... of course that was a 6 million poly file and the STL was gigantic..... but well worth the wait
    Attached Files Attached Files

This might be the same file but there are some .stl tools for Lightwave here:

http://www.chromecow.com/

I'm interested in this too. I purchased a Makerbot kit a few months ago which uses .stl for input, and I planned to use Lightwave models as a source. FWIW, Modo can import/export .stl too but like Lightwave you need to add third party scripts.

It would be wonderful if Lightwave supported .stl natively since this seems to be the most popular format for 3D printing.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamVaughan View Post
    I believe the conversion of my Tofu toy file (http://appleheadfactory.com/?p=526) took about 30 minutes... of course that was a 6 million poly file and the STL was gigantic..... but well worth the wait
    William, the toys you've been creating look awesome! If it's okay, I'd like to pick your brain on this subject someday.

G.

Hi,

Is it "normal" for an .stl object's polys to be tripled. I'm weary of a client looking at me weird... It's to go into a cnc machine.

Bryan
    Last edited by B.C.; 07-17-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    Hi,

Is it "normal" for an .stl object's polys to be tripled. I'm weary of a client looking at me weird... It's to go into a cnc machine.

Bryan
    Yes, STL _has_ to be triangles.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Yeah, I seemed to have variable success with the plugin. I'll await an update.

As far as exporting to obj and importing to replicator G, the objects need to be tripled and freezed. Some geometry does better than others...

I needed to import an ASCII STL file that contained multiple solids so I updated the importer to handle those (no changes to binary import). I added a checkbox that enables the importer to stick each solid in a separate (empty) layer, otherwise it merges them all into one.

Disclaimer: I'm not actively developing or maintaining this. It was just a one time fix so I could import a particular files I was interested in.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Newbie Member
    Great!! thanks
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Thank you.

Maybe next step *.STEP importer?
    Last edited by MarcusM; 03-28-2013 at 07:42 AM.