Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPR_vs_Render

VPR_vs_Render

Hi guys.
    I am working on texturing and shading a model, can someone help me understand why the vpr render is so different to the f9 render?
    This only happens when I use the node shader material simple skin, I tweak, getting the look I want which is updating in vpr just great, but then my render is nothing like it.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Because it's a previewer, not a final renderer?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Simple skin is not compatible with VPR, and neither are most of the SSS shader nodes, or anything which calls a pre-compute function before the renderer. This is no different to Fprime, which also can't use any shader which calls a pre-pass before the render.

NT are aware of this and are working on improved shaders and improvements to the VPR system.

NB: You should report this in the HC area as discussions about specific HC issues aren't supposed to be made public. Suffice it to say a lot of the new functions in LW 10.x are still in beta.

Thanks Tobian.
    Trevor Smith
    Gallery

To me this looks more like ColorSpace settings difference, Did you save your Render as Linear or sRGB ? VPR looks like sRGB and render like Linear.

cheers
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

You should check out a new feature in LW 10.+ you will really like, if you haven't already download the latest build, and watched the preview vid, you should!

Thanks Lewis, the colour space settings are the same, both are linear.
    It just seems to be any material node thats different in vpr and render, if I turn off the material node both vpr and render are identical.
    Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Yep that sounds like what I thought. The shader is made up of a diffuse+reflection+spec+sss element, and the difference is all of that - the sss part, which VPR can't do. Hopefully the latest news should please you!

Another reason that renders in VPR might look differently is beause VPR uses a draft mode by default which renders faster but doesn't do as full a job as normal. You can check it off in the VPR options found in the top right hand corner of the window.

VPR is great but it is only a preview, if you have a stack of polys it's a bit painful even with a pair of W5580 CPUs. So a small render with low AA is almost as quick.

Having said that for a bit of fun with monitor real estate!.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VPR_test.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	470.9 KB 
ID:	94940  
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Have I been mistaken the VPR promotion wrong along the line?
    As I percieved it..I thought it should and could render almost anything, with emphasis of not being a previewer like other software or fprime, but what you see is a low res iteration process
    that is as the final renderer, except post processing to match that as of the final render?

Ivé recently been testing dielectric materials, only to found out that there
    seem to bee quite big differences in how glass is rendered, that is a bit unfortunate since glass is a such delicate material to tweak, and not matching the final renderer, makes it less useful to use the vpr at all for glass tweaking.

I love the VPR for many other stuff thou, but I was just a little dissapointed that glass dielectric doesn´t seem to render properly to match that of final render.

The conductor material seems okay thou, but who knows if it suddenly appears completly different render in the final render once you tweaked it in vpr?

Michael

Guys. I think this is pushing the nature of the NDA somewhat. Perhaps a mod can move this thread into the HC area?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Guys. I think this is pushing the nature of the NDA somewhat. Perhaps a mod can move this thread into the HC area?
    How ? Isn't Trevor using LW10 released in DEC 2010 and Simpleskin node+VPR? What's under NDA there in LW which is released 5 months ago ?

I don't see him showing 10.x layout or saying which version is this?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Yes but like I said the work on VPR is ongoing and there are certain *things* In LW 10.1 which aren't properly public yet, which will help him out. I don't know how to make it more obvious than saying it Lewis, which I can't, obviously.

I think that VPR does a lot and it does it very well. Dont forget that this is only the first release.
    There are some smaller issues, most of them are due to the legacy of some features, which were never designed with something like VPR in mind (some nodes that use preprocessing come to my mind here).
    I guess that NT will improve on these issues in coming releases and that more things will work with VPR in the future.
    This is only the very first version after all.
    IMHO, it actually does more than I would expect from it.
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast