Thread: UV Map to Photoshop

UV Map to Photoshop

I'm looking for a plugin to take a UV map and convert it to an image for texture creation in Photoshop.

I tried uvimaginator plugin but it does not work on my system (Mac OS 10.6.7, Lightwave 10). I'm hoping there's another plugin out there that will do it. I can't believe in this day and age we have to resort to lo res screen graps.

Thanks in advance.

Screen grab sure, but why does it have to be lo res?

man...if you just read the manual...lightwave 10 modeler manual page 267
    From the manual:
    "Once you have a UV Map and are ready to paint it, don’t
    make a screenshot, which will be of poor quality at best, and
    will need to be manipulated before you can use it. Instead,
    go to File > Export >Export Encapsulated Postscript,
    choose Texture UV from the View field, and make an .eps
    file, so you can have clean, high-resolution maps."
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

And that's been in there since at least LightWave 6.5. The only possible downside to it is still that it doesn't "do" curves so if you want to export a UV map for a SubD object, you'd be better off freezing it, exporting the EPS then undoing until you are back to SubDs.

B
    LightWiki
    --
    Machine spec: Phenom II x6 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, NVidia Geforce 450 GTS 280.26

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
    I'm hoping there's another plugin out there that will do it. I can't believe in this day and age we have to resort to lo res screen graps.
    Yes, there is VMapManager tool from TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
    With it you can also load and save vertex maps (like weight maps) to/from image file, so you can export them to use in any other application.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
    I can't believe in this day and age we have to resort to lo res screen graps.
    I know what you mean, and I can't be a real help for you either (since you are on a mac), but for those win users out there:

http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?...d=61&Itemid=39

I consider it as one of the most valuable plugins I ever released in terms of productivity enhancement.

chris

tischbein3, that one seems really nice. but I still don't understand what's the problem on exporting the uvs as an eps file...I think its quite perfect. you simply export the uv to eps (like I said before) and you can import the eps in photoshop in any resolution with perfect antialiased lines because it's a vector format.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

Well all IMHO. since this is a workflow question

Speed, less button clicks, less files (and their locations) to care of.
    Defining the resolution while I can see it inside modeler (without any dpi calculations)
    And as a bonus, Ctrl V in photoshop also provides me a comfortable way to quickly swap
    out an existing map layout with a new ones

Overall it takes out (for me) a lot of these small slowdowners, and therefore
    increases not only the speed, but also my willing to use them more extensively, or to reedit them at later stage

I guess the opinion on this is very much related to -how- and -when- you do your uv mapping.

@erikals
    Nice tip / alternative (and even for mac)

Just tested tischbein's and it works great but does not support subpatch interpolation so I am stuck copy pasting for now unless some of the others support it?

TrueArt Support
    Non support sub-patches, because LWSDK doesn't allow it.
    You must use ctrl-d to freeze mesh prior rendering UV map.