Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW10 and XP - Newtek, help please ;)

LW10 and XP - Newtek, help please ;)

hi all,
    as stated here: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/requirements.php , it seems LW 10 wont support XP.
    This is very important for me since i have a Samba server (updated to latest version) and it works nicely with all my XP machines, while all Seven machines have severe autentication/remote desktop/file transfer speed issues. I never loved Vista/Seven, and with these issues i'm going to remove all Seven trash from my machines and downgrade to XP64.
    It would be useful for me to hear an official voice about Newtek not supporting XP in the future, and if true, what could happen using LW10 with XP (from "small slowdowns" to "wont work at all", as example).

thanks in advance,
    Paolo

Animator/Compositor wibly wobly's Avatar
    It was working just fine for me a few weeks ago before I upgraded. No idea what it'll be like in the future, namely Core (that was working fine under XP as well).

I've been running LW10 on XP64 with no issues at home and in the studio.

ok, at least current LW 10 works. I'm curious about CORE tough.. maybe someone at NT could already know.

thanks,
    Paolo
    Last edited by Pavlov; 03-21-2011 at 09:17 AM.

So far I haven't noticed much of any issues with windows 7. The only thing so far which I consider as minor, is some delays in modeler. But I was able to load a 4 million poly mesh. Which I am just amazed with since my last system was 32 bit with XP. My new system has 6 cores and 16 gig of ram. But I am thinking that the cores are not fully utilized yet. I know the VPR is a CPU hog, but then again this is the first commercial version.
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Running LW on XP 64 bit on 6 boxes with Screamernet. I only fired up Core when I was trying to get LW10 installed as the whole procedure is as clear as mud.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Running XP64 on an original 8 core Mac Pro in Bootcamp here. I'm not sure I can upgrade this thing to Windows 7, so I really do want to stay with XP64 for a couple of years if I can.

Unless the Mac verson of Core and/or LW10 proves solid enough, complete with the respective plugins
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

I very much doubt NT is going to drop support for XP. The userbase is way too big for that.

I'm pretty sure that LightWave 10 will still run on Windows 98. The only difference is that if you do and you call support you will get the message "only Vista and Win 7" are supported. The tech support folk can't have an example of every single OS over the lifetime of LightWave to check it works. They are equally not saying it *won't* work, just that it's not supported.

B
    LightWiki
    --
    Machine spec: Phenom II x6 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, NVidia Geforce 450 GTS 280.26

XP? That old thing?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Same for Windows Server 2003, SpeedEdit works on that, and it's never mentioned anywhere, ever... 3ds max works on it too, no real reason it shouldn't... and sure LW does too.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

ok - installed XP on both I7 x990 - it runs like a charm.
    While i spend the whole yesterday in trying to adjust the messy authentication system in Seven, it took few hours to reinstall my loved XP, set users, permissions and domains and have them run nicely at 2x speed than all other I7 960 (wow).
    In my experience, Seven is trash. Network/domain issues, resources hidden into unbelievable places (what was wrong in old Control Panel ? what ?), slower network transfers. I really wonder whats going on at MS.

Paolo
    Last edited by Pavlov; 03-22-2011 at 12:14 PM.

I am currently running LW10 in XP 64-bit. It seems just fine.

I don't think I have CORE?

When I installed LW10 in XP64, it also installed Core as well. Have you checked the NewTek folder in your Program Files?
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Nope. No CORE. Under programs or in the actual file directory.

Could I have done something wrong during install? Modeler/Layout/Hub are all there and working.

???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast