Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: New Imac rumors??

  1. #1
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440

    New Imac rumors??

    Hey everyone, since my 3D projects seem to be picking up, I'm going to need more then my 17" macbook pro. I would really love to have the new IMac 27" but I'm hearing rumors that a new IMac is over the horizon and may have up to 8 processors with 16GB RAM capability. Have you guys heard anything of the sort? That would make render time along with me upgrading to LW10 much faster and better for the client.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,143
    Personally, I've been keeping an eye out to maybe pick up an 8 core MacPro from someone wanting to unload it so they can get the 12 core.

  3. #3
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Personally, I've been keeping an eye out to maybe pick up an 8 core MacPro from someone wanting to unload it so they can get the 12 core.
    LOL. Glad you're thinking of others. I just like the portability of the Imac and that it's much easier to lug around if I had to but I just love that pretty 27" screen as well.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  4. #4
    We Make Effective FX! DiscreetFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    998
    A storm is brewing soon. Wait for the Thunderbolt!

    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!
    DVE's & LiveSets for VT[5], TriCasters & SpeedEDIT 2.

  5. #5
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscreetFX View Post
    A storm is brewing soon. Wait for the Thunderbolt!

    I wonder if Thunderbolt is going to really catch on like firewire did and ESata. hmmm
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,013
    I very much doubt we'll see an 8 core processor in an imac. At least not the next couple of revisions. Intel have one coming up at the year end but it'll be very expensive like the current hexacore extreme models.

    I could well be wrong but my bet is the top end imac will have i7 2600 (3.4GHz quad-core)

    Where did you hear the 8-core rumours? Quad-core i7 processors of course do have 8 threads so maybe that's led to some confusion.

    16GB Ram is already an option (albeit an expensive one) on the current 27" models. I doubt the new ones will come with that much as standard but hopefully the built to order option will be cheaper.

    I reckon we'll probably find out in the next couple of months (maybe even less). If they want people to start using Thunderbolt they need to get it available on more machines than just the Macbook Pros.

  7. #7
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaves View Post
    I very much doubt we'll see an 8 core processor in an imac. At least not the next couple of revisions. Intel have one coming up at the year end but it'll be very expensive like the current hexacore extreme models.

    I could well be wrong but my bet is the top end imac will have i7 2600 (3.4GHz quad-core)

    Where did you hear the 8-core rumours? Quad-core i7 processors of course do have 8 threads so maybe that's led to some confusion.

    16GB Ram is already an option (albeit an expensive one) on the current 27" models. I doubt the new ones will come with that much as standard but hopefully the built to order option will be cheaper.

    I reckon we'll probably find out in the next couple of months (maybe even less). If they want people to start using Thunderbolt they need to get it available on more machines than just the Macbook Pros.
    Yeah, I agree about the thunderbolt thing. It does promising though specially since I stream very high memory files when I compose music from an external drive. Right now I use ESata for that but in the future these files will be streaming at GB per second and Thuderbolt sounds like that could do the job with no sweat. I've heard the rumors talked about at my job and my mac buddies. Not sure where they've gotten the info from but it almost makes since since the IMac is already at 4 core. Well, even if the newest model came out still as a 4 core, it would be great to get and I7 4 core 8-thread machine with 32GB of RAM which is really cheap these days from OWC.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,143
    Dont you think it will get the 6 core version first?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    135
    Based on history i don't think the iMac will get any of the super high end processors... if anything the next rev will be the i5 and i7 sandy bridge models that just came out this year. The i7 is, unfortunately, not intended to be a high end machine but more of a mid-line machine for consumers and mainly graphic designers etc. We bought a number at a previous company i worked at and while they were pretty good, they couldn't hold the mustard for some of the higher end stuff we needed to do so we switched to mac pros (well a few at least).

    The iMacs are definitely nice tho'.. i'm typing this on one as we speak. I would just assume that, again based on history, the iMacs have never really been the cutting edge hardware devices... You can get an i7 imac that runs at 8 threads now.. just a little pricey.

    If you don't "need" a mac i'd recommend straying away from them unless they ditch the ATI cards...

  10. #10
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by bpritchard View Post
    Based on history i don't think the iMac will get any of the super high end processors... if anything the next rev will be the i5 and i7 sandy bridge models that just came out this year. The i7 is, unfortunately, not intended to be a high end machine but more of a mid-line machine for consumers and mainly graphic designers etc. We bought a number at a previous company i worked at and while they were pretty good, they couldn't hold the mustard for some of the higher end stuff we needed to do so we switched to mac pros (well a few at least).

    The iMacs are definitely nice tho'.. i'm typing this on one as we speak. I would just assume that, again based on history, the iMacs have never really been the cutting edge hardware devices... You can get an i7 imac that runs at 8 threads now.. just a little pricey.

    If you don't "need" a mac i'd recommend straying away from them unless they ditch the ATI cards...
    I'll definitely stick to Mac and because of all my review searching and other forums, the IMac is a great buy and I'm talking about the top of the line IMac. I can't see spending a minimum of $2500 for a Mac Pro and then have to buy a 27" monitor on top of that. From what I'm reading, the IMac is a great buy and rendering as well as long as the RAM is high and you're running 8 threads. I do know it's allot faster render wise then my old 1st generation Intel Mac Pro 4 core.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  11. #11
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Dont you think it will get the 6 core version first?
    Yeah, the new 6 core chip technology sounds really promising. How long has the newest IMacs been out? Any rumors on a new one coming out soon?
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  12. #12
    Top Dog
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,053

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    I'm really crossing my fingers for the new IMac to come out VERY soon!! I really need this computer. I don't have $4K to spend on a Mac Pro and monitor so the IMac is what I'm getting. I've done allot of research as to what the new one would be like and I think we're looking at a 6 core processor with the capability to have either 16GB or 32GB of RAM and improved ability to have hyper threading. It will work for what I need it for and my projects are smaller so the render time is not like rendering for Disney. LOL I wish Apple would be more vocal about new products coming instead of rumors but the rumors can get a person excited for the possibilities!!
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  15. #15
    Super Member realgray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by bpritchard View Post
    Based on history i don't think the iMac will get any of the super high end processors... if anything the next rev will be the i5 and i7 sandy bridge models that just came out this year. The i7 is, unfortunately, not intended to be a high end machine but more of a mid-line machine for consumers and mainly graphic designers etc. We bought a number at a previous company i worked at and while they were pretty good, they couldn't hold the mustard for some of the higher end stuff we needed to do so we switched to mac pros (well a few at least).

    The iMacs are definitely nice tho'.. i'm typing this on one as we speak. I would just assume that, again based on history, the iMacs have never really been the cutting edge hardware devices... You can get an i7 imac that runs at 8 threads now.. just a little pricey.

    If you don't "need" a mac i'd recommend straying away from them unless they ditch the ATI cards...
    That's interesting. At what point did the sandybridge fail? I'm considering a few for a small farm. They seem to hold their own against the more expensive machines in these modo benchmarks.
    http://modo.groothuis.com/index.php?
    Last edited by realgray; 03-21-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •