Thread: speededit wery slow

Newbie Member

Question speededit wery slow

Using Speededit on a VT5 machine (5.3), or in a standalone configuration (1.5.5), I'm experiencing an annoyng slowness wen surfing in the filebin ad wen bringing some clips on the timeline: the sistem hungs up for 10 or more seconds apparently doing nothing.
    Infact hd, cpu and net are at almost 0-10% of activity, during those periods.
    My configurations are dual xeon 3Ghz, gigabit lan, 4x 15krpm raid hd, 15krpm system disk, 12x 7,2krpm external linux NAS.
    Can somenone give me a suggestion?

Is this occurring in any file folder, or just certain ones? If just the latter, what file format are the files in the folders.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Newbie Member
    I'm experiencing this behaviour especially wen accessing to the external linux nas: I notice an annoying slowness looking for clips in the filebin. If I access to other network resources, as windows shared folders, I see things going faster. We use DV-avi footage.

Well, perhaps that's a hint then. Assuming (though the assumption may not be warranted) the transfer speed to/from the drive is adequate, I wonder if there's some sort of permission problem writing the thumbnail icon files on the remote drive.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Newbie Member
    I measured almost 400Mbit/s writing and more than 1 Gb/s reading (with 2 or more machines simultaneously reading on a 2way Gbit LAN) between workstations and external nas unit. The file sharing on the linux unit is made by samba, and there are no permission problems: the "Newtek info" hidden folder with tumbnails is always created.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by solelunauno View Post
    I measured almost 400Mbit/s writing and more than 1 Gb/s reading (with 2 or more machines simultaneously reading on a 2way Gbit LAN) between workstations and external nas unit. The file sharing on the linux unit is made by samba, and there are no permission problems: the "Newtek info" hidden folder with tumbnails is always created.
    On the right side of the SE interface click the little down arrow and choose 'None' for 'Icon Mode (All)'. Then try navigating the NAS. Especially folders you have not been to yet or even delete the NEwtek Info folders and then try navigating with no icons.

Newbie Member
    yes, I know. I set "name only". Navigating in this way is almost unusable (we cannot see the preview thumbnails, and name of clips hasn't any relevance.
    But also in this way I notice the same slowness

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Put some of the clips on your local hard drive and then peruse them. Will rule out NAS and point more at file type.

just to chime in with the use of a NAS box. I have been using freenas and it seems to work OK except for access time with SE. When I try scrubbing or playback with a PNG CG, or multilayer anything, it falls apart but for regular cuts editing it works great

My FreeNAS is 64bit 2.8g box with IDE primary for OS and SATA set at RAID 0 controlled by motherboard and on a Gig network. Network is not even close to being utilized past 45% and the drives seem not to be taxed at all but still has an issue.

Just a note....
    I called NT tech support to ask about lagging playback while i am scrubbing and didnt so much as get out external video drive, much less NAS box and the guy flat out told me he cant help me because the recommended configuration is internal drives. ...Thanks NewTek

Maybe...

This might be a dumb thought but is there a power management scheme on your NAS drive, causing it to turn off when not in use, so when you look at the drive again it has to re-spin the motor, and take time getting to full speed?

Quote Originally Posted by befunk View Post
    ... the guy flat out told me he cant help me because the recommended configuration is internal drives. ...Thanks NewTek
    Kind of have to agree with NT here. Unless there are recent developments in external storage data rates I don't know about, the only way you can achieve the robust data transfers you need with external storage is through Fiber Channel. Very expensive.

How do you have your "NAS" attached to the system?

The only recommended way, that I know of, to get the uninterrupted data flow for video editing on a computer is with attached storage. NFS is too slow, iSCSI might come close. Firewire is probably the better choice.

On my current system with SE2 on my laptop I have and external drive attached through ESata. I would still consider that attached storage but it might not even have enough umpphh to push HD video. (Still working in SD).

I have heard of people using ESata with an external array and getting by.
    I feel your pain. Working with video on computers has always been a black art.