Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Eagle has dandruff

My Eagle has dandruff

I did this eagle, and rendered it ok some time ago. I have two renders here, the one with just the eagle, same lighting setup as the second, which is the scene file. I tried all day Friday and most of yesterday trying to fix this render, with no success. I've never seen anything like this before, and nothing I've tried will get rid of the dandruff. Any ideas as so what this might be? I'm using 9.6 with radiosity. thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eagle_clean.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	89301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eagle_dandruff_closeup.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	495.5 KB 
ID:	89302  

Get the head and shoulders plugin.
    Just kidding. How did you make the feathers?
    Are you using fiberfx?

No fibre effects. I used image jpg image maps

Could it be that something got accidently resized, say a bump map.

Very nice eagle by the way.

Thanks,
    I don't think so. If that were true, why would the one render be 100% good and the other one 100% bad? But just out of curiosity, what would change the size of the bump map? (aside from me going in and literally changing a uv map size, which I don't know how to do in the surface editor)
    Last edited by jimiclaybrooks; 10-24-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Did you check for 2 point polys?
    http://doc3d.com

Intel i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 4 core 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Intel i7 980x 3.33 GHz 6 core 16GB RAM Dual ATI Radeon 5850 Win 7 64

Thats a great idea, no I haven't. I'll do that now and get back to you.

I have to admit, seldom if ever do my models have 2 pt polys. They usually show up long before the texturing process. I didn't think that was a problem, but I did chek just to make sure. no 2 pt polys.

I've had some weirdness recently with the classic camera. Have you tried one of the other cameras?

No, and that's another good idea. But again, in these two samples, both were rendered with the same camera, so I doubt that its the camera that's the problem. I see a pattern to the dots, like they're on some kind of grid or something. Not so much random spots, but very regularly spaced. Its really strange to me.

Non planar polys (non sub-D construction) would look different at different angles...is that it?

I didn't explain that well. If your feathers are non sub-d and your stats panel id's them as non planar... that would probably be your problem...If so, only choices are to make planar (eg make them triangles) or sub d ( not really a choice cause the feathers would change appearance)
    Last edited by Rabbitpenny; 10-25-2010 at 09:04 AM.

I just did this render at subd level 2, and as you can see, the dandruff is still there. At this point, I"m gonna try and redo the whole scene, just to see what happens.

Name:	Eagle_dandruff.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	89318  

Hey digitaldoc,
    looks like I owe you one big time. Since I was so sleepy last night, I forgot to try the other cameras. As it turns out, you called it. The classic camera has issues with this model. When I used the perspective camera, this is what I get. Thanks for your help, and a big thanks to you too Rabbitpenny, your patience is much appreciated.

Name:	Eagle_NOdandruff.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	89319  

it's amazing how one thing can cause such an issue with the end result. This is why there's forums.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

beautiful model too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast