Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair, fiber, furr

Hair, fiber, furr

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone used for hair or furr.. I've heard that FFX isn't that great for them so I was wondering what y'all were using.

blender
    or in a strict lw prod enviroment Sasquatch.In both its important still on the back days of tricky spot shadow maps (mm well ,blender supports full raytrace,ambient occlusion and even sss for the strands but have an accelerated mode that make use of shadow maps).

Sasquatch is the only other good alternative.
    http://worley.com/E/Products/sasquatch/sasquatch.html

It's not perfect but I think it's easier to use with better results.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Quote Originally Posted by lightmann View Post
    blender.
    Agreed! I gave up with LW fur.

Quote Originally Posted by lightmann View Post
    blender
    or in a strict lw prod enviroment Sasquatch.In both its important still on the back days of tricky spot shadow maps (mm well ,blender supports full raytrace,ambient occlusion and even sss for the strands but have an accelerated mode that make use of shadow maps).
    great that it supports all that but in all honesty I can't say I've ever seen a blender hair image that looks even as good as saslite.

Take a look at these Videos. I think Blender certainly is a great piece of software, I just can't get used to it.

http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/movies/
    Kevin "K-Dawg" Reeves

I've been using FFX.

See my Thread " A Fairy, a Monster and a Lightwave "
    Silvio Toledo
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaves View Post
    great that it supports all that but in all honesty I can't say I've ever seen a blender hair image that looks even as good as saslite.
    Well, just take Big buck bunny as an example, it looks good and that hair is not a pain in the butt to create and comb like any other solution in LW.

We are working on this scene right now, and we decided to change the hair from a polygon blob to strands, an the process was painless.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think im done with FFX too, here's my test on it:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112411

Pain Pain Pain!

LW 9.6
    I am looking for a happy medium for the fur problem.
    The main problem I have with Fiber FX is the ultra slow render time. Plus when I am working with the panel open the whole layout is sluggish.
    I am trying to use nodes to simalate fur on wolfhead model.
    Not going well.

Here in the Box at R+H, we're still using Sasquatch, though it's always been tricky to render for compositing. There are AA issues with rendering Sasquatch with anything but Classic camera, it can only cast shadows from spotlights because it needs to generate shadowmaps, and it's still a hassle getting a good shadow only pass out of it. But when you consider the plug-in was designed a million years ago to work with LightWave 5.6, it's amazing that it still works as well as it does. Despite the few issues I just mentioned, we will probably keep using it for a while; Sasquatch looks great and renders very quickly. (That is, if you know how to optimize your Sasquatch and lighting settings properly.)

We don't use FiberFilter for hair or fur because of random render issues in animation, and problems getting a shadow pass out of it reliably. It's a shame because the renders actually look great in still images, and the nodal tools should make it quite powerful. In Modeler, we often use FFX Strand Modeler to make guide chains for Sasquatch. This tool works pretty well for where I've used it (mostly male character hairstyles, but some female characters and creatures too,) but I keep hoping for improvements.

As a matter of fact, working with FFX Strand Modeler and Sasquatch is all I've been doing for the past two or three weeks. (Somebody help me...I'm in fur hell!)

Anyway, we recently started using Houdini for a few things, mainly fx stuff like water, fire, and smoke, but I'm thinking of trying to get it's hair and fur tools to work with our LightWave renders. No time to R&D that for this job, but maybe the next.

G.

You know, I'm really surprised in all these years no other LW hair plugin has been introduced. Seems to me that you can make some good cash with it.

i'll guess that core is the next focus for plugin development as legacy lightwave/lw10 has a finite time left...be it 2 to 5 years
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    We are working on this scene right now, and we decided to change the hair from a polygon blob to strands, an the process was painless.
    Do you have a render of the polygon blob version...just to compare the look and feel?

Kuzey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast