Thread: softimage 2011 uptade

softimage 2011 uptade

http://www.the-area.com/blogs/marks/...1_5_with_lagoa

Softimage gets icons and the viewport cube ! I cant believe it! It looks like 3ds max. I guess the SI community should be very mad!
    However the other UI enhancements looks very nice, and Lagoa... well, amazing is the only word I can think of (and maybe dangerous ). Eventough softimage has the nicest UI in the AD combo, I'm pretty sure Matt is going to give LW a better, nicer and cleaner UI.
    How TurbulenceFluidDynamics compares to Lagoa, Nparticles and PFlow? not to mention Houdini. Or is it another thing?

Quote Originally Posted by speismonqui View Post

Softimage gets icons and the viewport cube ! I cant believe it! It looks like 3ds max. I guess the SI community should be very mad!
    However the other UI enhancements looks very nice, and Lagoa... well, amazing is the only word I can think of (and maybe dangerous ). Eventough softimage has the nicest UI in the AD combo, I'm pretty sure Matt is going to give LW a better, nicer and cleaner UI.
    How TurbulenceFluidDynamics compares to Lagoa, Nparticles and PFlow? not to mention Houdini. Or is it another thing?
    to be fair the view cube etc bring softimage inline with maya, max, revit, autocad, inventor blah blah blah...
    3dsmax got the viewcube from autocad i think, so it wasn't the first to have it!

so it's not a 3dsmax clone lookalike more of a consolidation of u.i throughout the whole range of applications from autodesk [3d]
    Last edited by cresshead; 09-18-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Hehe, I turn it off in max. Viewport clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by speismonqui View Post

From what i have heard Lagoa blows away TurbelenceFluidDynamics. Nparticales and PFlow. Tho i think the main advantage over houdini is speed. There is a video on lagoa on the AD site if you havent seen it.

From what i have heard Lagoa blows away TurbelenceFluidDynamics. Nparticales and PFlow. Tho i think the main advantage over houdini is speed. There is a video on lagoa on the AD site if you havent seen it.
    You should not believe everything that marketing tells you.
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

Is true what you said Elmar, but dont you agree? besides the marketing propaganda?

This looks like a pretty solid .5 update. Interesting that Softimage is now the cheapest app from Autodesk and alot cheaper than Cinema 4D Studio.

Cheers, Florian
    3DGrafikvonBehr
    Sys: 2x Mac Pro, 8x 2.8 Ghz, GeForce 8800 GT, 10 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5 and Vista Business 64

I would not judge the speed of something from a video posted on the website of the company that makes the product. It is bound to show the product in its best light, dont you think?
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

Also, i still favor flexibility and stability over speed (yes, i'm looking at you nParticles, you jumpy little f***ers.)

If speed where really an issue with simulations, Next Limit would have been out of business years ago.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Moelzer View Post
    I would not judge the speed of something from a video posted on the website of the company that makes the product. It is bound to show the product in its best light, dont you think?
    Keep in mind the video wasnt made by autodesk and they guy that did make it also made sph fluids for ice which was, stable and fast. And lagoa was used on the latest predators movie so it is production proven. But you are right time will tell. Ill race your Core particals against my ICE particals anytime :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Moelzer View Post
    exactly... just like the first couple of Core videos.

Lagoa does look incredible promising so I will keep an eye on where it goes.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64