Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vue 8.5 xStream VS Vue 8.5 Infinite

Vue 8.5 xStream VS Vue 8.5 Infinite

I want to purchase the latest version of Vue. What is the different beetween 8.5 XStream, and 8.5 Infinite.

NOTE: I work with, Lightwave, After Effects, and Premiere Pro. I am not using 3dmax, or Maya or softimage or cinema 4D.

Thanks.
    Simon

Banned
    Hi,

The difference it's that xStream it's used as a plug-in INSIDE LightWave. Or as an standalone application as Infinite.

You can put a sky, a terrain with it's Vue materials and even ecosystems and load that .vue file into your LightWave scene and avoid compositing later.Be aware that xStream rendertimes can be really long inside LightWave, specially using Radiosity on both engines.

Anyhow Vue 9 must be around the corner, so I will wait and get that one if you are buying a new license. Or you can end paying for xStream 8.5 and the update.

Look on e-ons website in case they have now any offers where getting xStream 8.5 or Infinite 8.5 gives you xStream or Infinite updates to 9.0 for free.

David

IMO, if you composite your cg elements in post, in many cases you only need Infinite because you can move camera data from LW to Vue without using the XStream plug-in.

Prior to 8.x, Vue Infinite this was difficult because, even though you could import LW camera data, you couldn't import LW objects with UV maps and you couldn't export Vue voumetric clouds with alpha channels. They finally improved corrected this in Vue Infinite 8.x, making the program far more useable for compositing.

But if you really need to render your elements integrated, and you don't mind the longer render times, then XStream is the way to go.

(FWIW, we have XStream at work but I always wind up rendering stuff separately in each package for compositing anyway. Or, more typically, I use Vue to render matte painting elements that get used as textures on cards in LightWave or Fusion. It's just a easier, faster, and more flexible that way.)

G.

... how do you get LW camera into vue 9 Infinite. And back to Lightwave again? I don't get this.

Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryste3d View Post
    ... how do you get LW camera into vue 9 Infinite. And back to Lightwave again? I don't get this.

Thanks
    If you want to synchronize the camera between LightWave and a scene of Vue Infinite, you can do it using the Vue Synchro plugin.

Page 539 of the Vue 9 manual.

David

Hi Dave,

I haven't done this with 9 yet but do you still need to set the scale to (I think it was) 0.5 in Vue for the camera and path to have matched size with Lightwave?

Just wanted to get complete info in here as I don't think this scale factor was mentioned in earlier manuals.

G

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Hi Dave,

I haven't done this with 9 yet but do you still need to set the scale to (I think it was) 0.5 in Vue for the camera and path to have matched size with Lightwave?

Just wanted to get complete info in here as I don't think this scale factor was mentioned in earlier manuals.

G
    I'm at lost as you with that, I know the plug-in is there but I didn't used it in a long time. And no, the manual only says that you need to use the same factor for all the synchronized objects, doesn't say what value need to be. So just tested it with something simple

The factor value is 50 for Vue 9, I just tested it with a camera moving on straight line on the Z axis from -5 to 20m, at a constant height of 1.75m on Y, during 25 frames, at 25 fps. But the latest VueSynch plugin looks like does a slight round error, because the camera in Vue was synchronized at the correct Y but Z was -4 m instead of -5m.

David

Yeah, it was 50 in Vue 8.5. I had to do that a couple of months ago at work for a game trailer. We were rendering our main render layer using xStream, but we needed some special channels for compositing that could only be rendered (at the time) directly out of Vue, and I remember having to using VueSync and the native renderer for these layers instead of xStream.

Thanks for checking it out in Vue 9 Infinite. I'm going to be working with 9 Infinite for the Brudders short film this weekend.

G.

Yes I use the vuesynck plug-in and the camera animation seam to work but it simply don't match up in comp.

I try to adjust the camera setting in Vue to match LW camera but it just jumps back to what it was ???

Please give me a step by step if anyone know how to do it in Vue9

Thanks

Banned
    Look this thread to see if it helps:

lightwave - vue camera sync

And the Video Tutorials by Ivan B. ( a bit old, but I think you can still use the same techniques with Vue 9).

David
    Last edited by dballesg; 12-11-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Heffalump
    A while back Jeremy Hardin wrote this script for me :

http://jeremy.lwidof.net/lscript/import_ma_cam.zip

It takes the .ma export from Vue (6 Infinite, at the time) and sets up the camera in Layout to match. It should also work with Maya .ma, but I've not tried it recently.
    Inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by dballesg View Post
    ..the latest VueSynch plugin looks like does a slight round error, because the camera in Vue was synchronized at the correct Y but Z was -4 m instead of -5m.
    Wow, that's a big error. Just wondering, could that be caused by a slight frame rate mismatch? Like 29.96 vs. 30 fps. Otherwise, this is a pretty serious bug and should be reported to E-on.

G.

BTW, here's a recent example of Vue 8.5 xStream and Lightwave from the Box:

Dangerous Hunts 2011

We've used Vue on many projects before but I think this was our first successful use of the Vue xStream renderer inside of Lightwave. There are a lot of silly things to watch out for that are undocumented, but once we got the workflow nailed down, the project went pretty smoothly. Rendering Vue in LW is surprisingly fast now, and we're eager to try this again soon.

G.

Edit: Getting back to the earlier discussion about the standalone Vue Infinite and Vuesync, this is also a good example of how well Vuesync works. (Or at least it's a good example in 8.5...I'm not sure about 9.0 yet.) The main image and most auxiliary channels were rendered in Lightwave using xStream, but at the time we had trouble getting z-coverage out of xStream so we used Vue in standalone mode for this and a couple of other channels.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    A while back Jeremy Hardin wrote this script for me :

http://jeremy.lwidof.net/lscript/import_ma_cam.zip

It takes the .ma export from Vue (6 Infinite, at the time) and sets up the camera in Layout to match. It should also work with Maya .ma, but I've not tried it recently.
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for the script, it's good to have more options to synchronize LightWave and Vue.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Wow, that's a big error. Just wondering, could that be caused by a slight frame rate mismatch? Like 29.96 vs. 30 fps. Otherwise, this is a pretty serious bug and should be reported to E-on.

G.
    Agg it was my fault. You need to put the range of frames on the Render > Render Globals > General to start on Frame 0 to the End Frame you want of your animation. Or the plugin WILL NOT export Frame 0.

Curiously the camera was at Z -4m at Frame 1, and that was the start frame being imported in Vue.

David

Ah! (Sigh of relief.) That's good to know.

BTW, Dave, you might recall me asking some Vue questions in the forums a while back; that was during the above project. Thanks again for your advice!

G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast