Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tricaster2FCP - a Mac tool to losslessly rewrap MPEGs into FCP compatible QuickTimes

Video Producer, So Calif.
    I imag'd the Dalai Lama on Tuesday at USC with my new Tricaster tcxd300 in 1080i and this worked perfectly on the file with 2ch audio. Love it! Any ideas how to keep FCP from wanting to render it all, though?
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

Friend of Prince of Space Ty Whitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Dimitry G! This is great. I have 3 SpeedEDIT bays but also have 3 other people using FCP.

We just bought a Tricaster850 and will be recording live satelite uplinks for my Final Cut users. I was dreading having to convert the files for them. Since it's so easy I'm using SpeedEDIT to right click and convert every file that FCP has a problem with. But it takes time and ties up 2 bays. This way they can do the job and save themselves a step (and a render as TakeOne pointed out). Is there a way to keep FCP from always wanting to re-render?

Unfortunately we won't have the new control room and TriCaster up till this summer but next week I'll try to do some testing. Thanks again for such a helpful app.
    Last edited by Ty Whitaker; 05-05-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Ty Whitaker
    Video Production Supervisor. MTSU
    [email protected]

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeOneDigital View Post
    I imag'd the Dalai Lama on Tuesday at USC with my new Tricaster tcxd300 in 1080i and this worked perfectly on the file with 2ch audio. Love it! Any ideas how to keep FCP from wanting to render it all, though?
    I am going to test four audio tracks next week to see if the script passes all four along. The quality and two audio channels work with 720P and 1080i in my test with the clients. Now I need to make sure all four tracks, when used, are passed along

And yes again, this is a great script
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I've updated the tool to now support 4-channel audio, you will be presented with a dialog of whether you want to process it (as all Tricaster HD recordings contain 4 channels, whether they are MOS or otherwise) and how you want to treat them (Discrete mono or Stereo Pair).

Further, all flavors of HD Tricaster recordings (720p24, 720p60, 720p50, 1080i60, 1080i50, 1080p24, 1080p25, and 1080p30) are now fully supported and correct codec assignments are made. Any previous issues with Final Cut wanting to render 1080i content should be gone.

All generated QuickTimes will now include a Time of Day timecode track, derived from the Creation timestamp of the original MPG recording, and can be used as a reference when syncing your linecut with ISOs rolled in cameras. If this information is important to you, make sure when copying files off the Tricaster media drive you preserve the original timestamp. While Mac OS does this by default, Windows does not and overwrites the creation timestamp with the time the copy takes place. I recommend a freeware utility called Teracopy, which preserves the timestamps, reports copy speed statistics and calculates checksums to make sure your transfers are 100% intact.

Last, I've added transcoding of SD recordings to DVCPro50. I picked this format as it's 100% compatible with Final Cut Pro and offers a tremendous increase in quality over DV (double the bitrate and 4:2:2 chroma).

As for some reason I am unable to edit my original post (where did the edit button go?) I have uploaded the tool to my server: http://www.czartv.com/Tricaster2FCP-0.3.zip

Enjoy and happy rewrapping!
    Dimitry Czar
    Co-Producer / Director
    [email protected]

"The Mixing Lab" first Tricaster powered video DJ show live every Tuesday night 7p-12a PST on http://themixinglab.net

Dimitry,
    Thank you and this is a great thing you have done. The four audio tracks, all the resolutions and the time of day time code is just amazing features you have added.
    Question, do you need to have FCP on the Mac to use the script? I don't think so but of course you would know
    The SD Transcode is for normal and high recordings and from SD TriCaster and XD TriCaster?

Thank you,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

You're very welcome! You are correct, you don't need FCP to use the script, but you wouldn't be able to playback the resulting files as the XDCAM codecs ship with Final Cut. You may of course copy the codecs over from another system, I don't see anything wrong with that...

The SD transcode is indeed for normal and hq recordings from both the SD and HD(XD) Tricasters.
    Dimitry Czar
    Co-Producer / Director
    [email protected]

"The Mixing Lab" first Tricaster powered video DJ show live every Tuesday night 7p-12a PST on http://themixinglab.net

Works great on SD video. Around 55~75fps on a core2duo iMac

A minor issue is that I can't encode trough the network. I need to copy the file, then convert.

Bud It's way faster than my usual workflow:
    Convert using compressor to ProRes 422 profile.

Video Producer, So Calif.
    Hey Dimitry- I downloaded the 0.3 version, but it errors with "Can't get text 12 thru 13 of ""." after it asks about the channel 3 and 4 audio. Not sure if this is a bug that only I get or what? Any ideas? or new build? version 0.1 still works for me.
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

Exactly, I get "Can't get text 12 thru 13 of ""." when I try to encode trough the network.

I get the same error choosing stereo, mono or no to tracks 3 and 4.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Dimitry,
    Just bumping this in hopes for a fix to the 3&4 audio track issue.

Thank you,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I am unclear how to get the data from the Tricaster to the Mac. None of my external drives will show up on the Tricaster.

Dimitry,
    Thanks for your work on this. I tried to download it but the link from your earlier post is dead. Could you repost the current download link?

jdinsmoor,
    The easiest way is to format an external usb hard drive in NTFS from a Windows machine, copy the data from the Tricaster to the external drive, then your Mac can read them (macs can read NTFS by default but not write to a NTFS drive without third party software).

If you were to use a FAT32 drive you would have a 4GB per file size limit which would not be good for large recordings.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with the following problem ...
    We are recoring on the brand new TriCaster Extreme in its native mpeg 2 codec.
    Upon exporting the clip (as the "same as source" profile in the Tricasters "Manage" Page) and bringing this clip into Final Cut Pro 7 the Time Code vanishes....

In other words the uintegrity of the file is not kept the same.

Have you managed to import Mpeg 2 exported from Tricaster 850 or Tricaster 850 Extreme into FCP correctly?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

all the best
    Nino

Now that this supports SD TC files i am REALLY interested. Anyone have an updated download link?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast