Thread: Rendering from an orthographic view?

Rendering from an orthographic view?

Hello..

I'm working on a project that requires the final image to be a "straight-on" view, without any real sense of "depth" to it, but still having the appropriate lighting and shadowing, etc.

I understand that in some other 3D apps, you can render from an orthographic view, or you can set the camera's fov to simulate the same effect..

Is there a way to do this in LW, and how would you do it?

Thanks!
    Mike

the answer is no, you cannot render a true orthographic view in lw. however, you can minimize perpective (and thusly fake an orthographic view to some degree) by moving the camera out a huge distance and using a huge zoom factor on the camera.

hth

ursa
    Sometimes you eat the bear,
    sometimes the bear eats you.

only problem is, that technique isn't great for interiors shots, unless you remove some walls first I suppose!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Oh, that's not a problem.. it's not even really an "interior shot" per se.. It's for a simple little "steps to reach our goal" type of deal.. so it's literally only a staircase with a platform at the top and a couple extra objects. It's not intended to be a full scene and if it were done in 2D the way I'm looking to render it would be exactly the way it's done.. So I'd rather render it that way... or at least try it that way and see if it's preferred over having it "true 3D"...

I'll try the zoom approach.. hopefully that'll do the trick..

Thanks!
    Mike

hi

check out fakemetric camera in EKI'S plugpak (you can download a useable demo which is fully functional but has some very annoying delays)

regards

paul

Enhanced Low
    …Eki's script looks fine but does'nt do anything more than
    allowing some "automatic / dynamic" settings for the trick
    that we anyway has to use : very far camera and huge zoom.

This script works the same and in no case will give you a "real" orthographic
    view in LW so I guess if it's just for one image it may not be very helpful…

that said unless you have "interior" constraints
    this trick gives you perfect parallel edges and eventually perfect orthographic views…

would be nice to see this feature built into lw8
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Hello again..

That Eki plugin did the trick! It's a bit wierd to get used to (and yes the nag is a bit irritating.. but hey.. he gives you a chance to bypass it by guessing the right number ;-)..

In any case... I've gotten what I needed to so.. thanks for the tip!

Mike

Here is a free one that works- just remember to READ the directions. It can be a little buggy...but it does work...

This one uses LWs own ortho viewports- so you can use any view port to render!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is a basic render with and without Pview...
    Attached Images Attached Images

quoting the readme:

Also note that the isometric and orthographic views are not truly isometric or othographic. Rather, they are simulated by giving the camera a large zoom factor and increasing the distance between it and its focus.
    so, isometric / orthographic for the perspective viewport is faked anyway. rendering a very large image (say a level for a game like diablo) won't do with this one i guess...

Thumbs down ! ! !

LightWave's lack of true orthographic rendering has been hurting it in the mechanical and technical illustration areas for a long time.

Lots of the illustrations I do are for an engineering firm, and this missing feature in LightWave has caused a lot of heartache. Banishing the camera to the outter limits, then using a Hubble-like telescope lens to zoom way the **** in may get you a decent faked ortho view, but there are problems associated with it. Firstly, OpenGL can often get flakey. I've seen objects half-disappear, or begin to flicker. OpenGL isn't the only thing that nottices the disappearing geometry, as the render engine sometimes forgets about certain polygons too. There's also the problem with in-door environments (as Matt has suggested). You can't very well zoom in if there are WALLS in your way! Then again, maybe if the wall geometry buggishly disappears from the render engine, it wouldn't be a problem.

LightWave REALLY NEEDS true orthographic rendering!!! Period. (or exclamation point - depending on your perspective)

Enhanced Low
    I'd add to Earl's one that whith the only current way we can fake orthographic
    view there are much troubles with edges rendering !!!

The camera is so far that you can't set correctly the rendering
    of edges (Object properties) what is even more STUPID
    that orthographic view is often associated with cartoon or schematic
    renderings (technical, scheme illustrations etc.) so it's precisely
    there that you need correct edges !!!

jj special priection plugin check on flay.
    did sferical and orthographic rendering