Thread: Disperse a morph?

Disperse a morph?

Hi

Is there a way to break up when a morph happens at different parts of a model? Maybe with a texture map?

I'm turning some I-beams into DNA. I have a bunch of bolts, all of which have 1 morph group to move from flush with the I-beam, to sticking out to form the rungs of the DNA ladder. Cool.

I want to play with having then animate on in sequence, or perhaps randomly.

How can I tell rung #1 to morph at frame 10, and rung #4 to use the same morph at frame 30?

I can see using a gradient on the height to determine when the morph starts, but I dont know how to go about implementing such an idea.

Any tips would be appreciated...

attached is an image, I want the bolt rungs to zipper up rather than all push in to the center at once.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DNA sample.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	84963  
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Do it using textures as you said using either nodes or the normal displacement plugin.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow you. I can use nodes or displacement to control my morph?

I'd appreciate it if you treated me like a moron and spelled it out a bit more step by step...
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

The normal displacement plugin allows you to displace along normals or an endomorph using textures. You can use a gradient based on distance to do what you were suggesting.

Thanks Larry,

"Normal Displacement" strikes me as kind of an odd place to hide MorphMap controls, but now that I know it's there, who cares.

That will certainly do the trick though, and seems potentially useful for many things. Thanks again.

Seems odd though, when I first double click on the Normal Displacement plugin to open it up, it freezes up my LW 9.0 for a good long while. I thought it was crashing it, but I walked away in frustration and when i cam back there it was. Seems prone to jinky pauses working with it too. Is that just me?

Anyhow, its worth it. Thanks.
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by objuan View Post
    Seems odd though, when I first double click on the Normal Displacement plugin to open it up, it freezes up my LW 9.0 for a good long while. ...
    The higher res your mesh, the slower the Normal Displace gets. MorphMap is one of the best kept secrets.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

It is weird. I use it all the time in 9.6 without any issues.