Thread: 3Play Test Run

3Play Test Run

I took the 3Play for a test run today...
    Overall I give it a 8 out of 10.
    I really liked:
    1. 3 camera Replay easily operated by 1 person
    2. Took me about 3 hours to master it
    3. Easy to Create a Highlight reel
    4. Can easily change in points & Out point or duration on the "Markers" - Use the Alt key on the keyboard (FYI).
    5. Can change up the in point while one replay is playing from an angle and then click for the next angle at a different in point seemlessly- there is a little guess work involved, but a good replay will time it right.
    6. Hot keys F6 to change the name of clip- to build a highlight
    7. HiDef!

Dislikes:
    1. No Thru-Put. Every Camera input should have a Thru-Put or splitter.
    This would be really handy- because you are going to want the video to go to the switcher as well.
    2. The 1080 HD struggles when recording and playing back. It freezes, jitters, and hiccups. 720 and SD trials of this exact scenario worked perfect. I did find though that if you stop the recording by hitting the record button, the playback of 1080 then works perfect.
    3. This is nit picky, but as you change the in-point it should not move the out-point- currently it does.

Overall it's a nice unit- not sure about the $22k- I think at a little more reasonable rate, I would go for it.... A deal for VT5 registered users of like $30k for the 3Play and the XD850 would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by lvsoule View Post
    The 1080 HD struggles when recording and playing back. It freezes, jitters, and hiccups. 720 and SD trials of this exact scenario worked perfect.
    This is quite atypical. Hard to say for sure, but it might be something as simple as the unit you tested needing defragging, not sure. On pricing, check competing units and you'll I'm sure you'll revise your view. It's a specialty area, and 3Play is a serious value leader in this market (competition is in in the $80-120k range.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

yeah - I agree Steve- for the money, it's hard to complain too much. That's why overall I gave it a good rating. I have found a solution for dirt cheap though, using 2 Macintosh computers and two Pyro A/D D/A converters. It works like a charm, but requires a lot more thought process. It will do replays and you can build a highlight reel using Premiere.

It is not HD though. The Pyro will receive and send- so when you capture it receives and then when you playback it sends. Then when you do the highlight it sends too.

With producers losing their hide all over (according to LPTV), it's just hard to spend the dough right now.

thanks
    -Larry

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    , On pricing, check competing units and you'll I'm sure you'll revise your view. It's a specialty area, and 3Play is a serious value leader in this market (competition is in in the $80-120k range.)
    Have to agree with you Steve, what I have noticed is the comments and requests from some users wanting 'thru-puts", what this tells me is that the 3Play has opened the "instant-replay" market to user's that would not normally be able to afford this tpye of facility.

I don't have an issue with the no looped inputs as the correct way to intergrate such a machine is to feed inputs from a VDA.

I cant justify the $80-$120k myself either, but the 3Play fits the budget and performance and my clients love what the 3Play delivers.