Thread: Lightwave Learning Curve

Lightwave Learning Curve

Hello All,

So I picked up the Lightwave Trial and started last Friday.Not the best of starts as there was a couple of basics I wasted my time on.But getting to grips slowly with it.

I ve been modeling for years with Cad, Max ,Solidworks and Inventor and have started Lightwave for an available position in a company in my home town.

I've always been product design and arch viz but have to get to grips with medical and anatomy for the position.

I'm just wondering if anyone in here has had to do the swop-over like myself and how long it took them to get to grips with lightwave. I bought Essential Lightwave V9 to learn from and while it seems like a good book, little bits keep annoying me and its not giving me the answers I m looking for.

Any helps and tips would be greatly received, and I can return the favour if someone needs Max or Cad issues...

K

Here's a good place to start. For specific questions, you can ask here. We're a helpful bunch.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

Ive done it the otherway around. Ive used lightwave since version 3.5 or something like that, but for different reasons have had to learn both Maya and Xsi. What I find is the biggest struggel, when leaving lightwave for another application, esspecialy when it comes to modeling, is navigation and the fact that LW have no transform gizmos in the modeler. I find thouse features to work for me in a possitoive way, and miss it alot when leaving LW for some other App. Im guessing that it can be the other way around for you. What is unfortunat for the LW modeler is that alot of times you have to use different tools for almost the same type of modeling operaration. The toolset is rather spreadout and takes some time to find. But as Nangleator said we are a helpfull bunch.

I hope you will come to enjoy LW as much as the rest of us. A tip is to learn some hotkeys for the most regulary used tools, "Ctrl+t", "t" and dont be afraid to use space. Hmm.. Come to think of it, modeling in lightwave is much like playing a instrument.

Well, well.. Enough rambeling.
    Salv8or, out!

Need i say more ?
    Yes, soon we'll have core!
    L8est reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NnXaP121WQ

...mate, you just need this andweek or two:
    http://www.3dgarage.com/product_p/lw9sc.htm
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET
    The Cheapest Render Farm - 10,000 cores and growing!

Nangleator,

Cheers for the link ,seems like it will be helpful.

Salv8or,

Im laughing at the instument comment, I was thinking the same thing myself,
    There is a myriad of hotkeys and my mind (and cramped fingers) are just getting used to them.One thing I did do was change deselect to the <e> key as moving the other side of the keyboard was getting tedious after only one day.I'm still at basic modelling but am realising that the only way to get through is with hotkeys in lightwave.Any other definate change keys before I memorize a position??????

One thing I was wondering was about selecting points, do I really have to hit enter,then deselect then reselect an adjacent point every time,is there a faster way.ie just using the arrow keys to move point selection??? or space bar....The answer is probably staring me in the face but I want to run before I can walk...Grin....

Any how,

Thanks

K

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    For point move (without having to select each one in turn) you'll need CTRL+T, which is drag.

There's the keys to grow and shrink selection, but no command to 'grow' your selection in a specific direction. Right and left bracket keys will grow and shrink selection.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

I learned Lightwave after using Softimage 3D 11 years ago and I found the change relatively painless other than that there are a few work flow differences mainly because Lightwave is divided up into 2 dedicated programs Layout and Modeler.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Newbie Member

Beginning with LW

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    ...mate, you just need this andweek or two:
    http://www.3dgarage.com/product_p/lw9sc.htm
    I'll second that. I was a C4D user prior to using LW. I picked up the above signature course and got up to speed within a couple of weeks.

However, since that course is aimed towards the eariler versions (9.0 and 9.2). You might find it less confusing to download version 9.3 (which I think is the earliest you can get on NewTek wesbsite) and follow the course using that version, rathar than 9.6. Other than that - can't recommend that course enough. Dan Ablan is a great instructor.

All the best,

Royie

My tip is:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movi...eTraining.html

more than 24 hours of best tutorial material for free.
    Always well prepared and explained to the point.

Have fun lightwavin'
    i7930, 12G Ram, 285GTX, 80G intel SSD, Win7 Pro 64. 30" HP LP3065
    X2 4400, 3G RAM, 7800GTX Vista64 Ultimate.
    5 bi-pro (2.0-2.8) 2G Ram XP-ProSP2.
    MacBook Pro 2.4C2D, 4g Ram, 8600GT Leopard 10.6.3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arsad View Post
    My tip is:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movi...eTraining.html

more than 24 hours of best tutorial material for free.
    Always well prepared and explained to the point.

Have fun lightwavin'
    thats the palce
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Quote Originally Posted by kreation3d View Post
    Nangleator,

One thing I was wondering was about selecting points, do I really have to hit enter,then deselect then reselect an adjacent point every time,is there a faster way.ie just using the arrow keys to move point selection??? or space bar....The answer is probably staring me in the face but I want to run before I can walk...Grin....
    Not realy sure what you mean. Do you mean how to exspand a selection or move the actuall selection. When free modeling you dont have to select anything, just have everything deselected and hit "Ctrl+t" and your pointer should look something like this: =*=
    but smaler, then you can drag on any point in your mesh.

I have a tendency to add som tools on the "Ctrl+Shift+leftmouse" and "Ctrl+Shift+rightmouse". In my preference I do selection stuff on right mouse and some unsigned keys on left.

Hope it helps, and that I got youre question correct.

Best of luck
    Last edited by Salv8or; 05-03-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Need i say more ?
    Yes, soon we'll have core!
    L8est reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NnXaP121WQ

Yes, adding tools to the "mouse" menu will speed up your work-flow for using redundant tools. KBS is also good to use. If you are used to other apps KBS you can remap LW's.

Some tips:

Layers

Also, ya don't need anything selected to edit a mesh, and use the layer system alot at the top of the screen like a history stack. Polygons are like pixels in LW and easy to copy paste.(make sure you always copy/paste using layers so ya don't accidentally
    copy/paste on top of the same mesh.

Constraints

Another useful LW work-flow is using all views to model because of the lack of gizmos. In perspective view you can hold "ctrl" + mouse direction to constraint and axis.

View ports

Setup the Numeric keypad fot jumping between windows Hit "Ctrl + 5 on num keys for a quad window set-up. "Select "Whole window", now every time you need a quad window just hit 5 on the num pad. I use "7" for top view only, 9 for perspective, 1 for Back, and 3 for Right. You can also use the rest of the numbers like for UV window and different rendering types for each window:ie:Wire,flat,Wire Shaded,etc,etc.

Easy divide on object creation:

For primitive creation you can use the arrow keys to add more divisions to objects with the mouse over the top/side/left/perspective windows.