Thread: A new system needed !!!

Newbie Member

Wink A new system needed !!!

I plan to buy speededit and a new system. My reseller propose this kit : ASUS P7P55E-E, intel precessor I7-930-2,80/8M/1366, 1 GIG VIDEO ( 8 GIGS TOTAL), 1 SEAGATE HD 1TB, 1 STAR TECH ALUM 5 DRIVE 3,5in, SATA REMOVABLE HD, 1 thermatake box, 1 thermaltake power supply 650w, 1 microsoft windows 7 ultimate 64bit. speededit 2,0 TOTAL: 3 300$.
    I already own (in my old system) 2 LG FLATRON 995FT MONOTORS, 4 hard drive scsi II ( RAID ). with VT4. IT'S MY BUDGET ( less of 4000$) ... What do you think about that ? A quick answer will be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Blog Entries
    The system sounds pretty solid for video editing, however, this setup seems to be aimed more toward a broadcasting or film editing and even then I'd say, only vfx work would really make this type of rig worth the investment and take real advantage of the i7 and 64bit OS.

I would say that SE2.0 MAY turn out to be a bit of a bottleneck in the workflow as (I'm not absolutely sure about this) AFAIK it's not written to take advantage of 64bit systems. I WILL run on 64bit systems, you just won't benefit from any additional memory addressing etc.

Something to bear in mind before you part with your hard earned.

Well, you can tweek it hear and there..

But my recommendations are these.

1) Go 64 bit and OS...and fill the memory space available with as much as you can afford. Even though SE 2.0 doesn't take advantage of it at this moment...it still works great...and you future proof your new systems...and if you plan on running Adobe too..then you will have a proper production system to work with.

2) Go with either a Nvidia 285 graphic's card with 2 gigs of memory or one of the new 480 cards. Due to many production applications using the cuda processing...hopefully SE will in the future as well.

3) Get enhanced cooling Thermalright's is very good for non liquid cooling.

4) get at least a 850 watt powersupply to run the system and graphic card.

5) use a seperate OS drive and seperate applications drive (or at least partition one)

6) put together a 4 drive disk array.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by radams View Post
    6) put together a 4 drive disk array.

Cheers,
    I presume you mean a RAID 0 stripped array, Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by lcress View Post
    I presume you mean a RAID 0 stripped array, Ray?
    Yup
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

New killer evga classifiled sr-2 mobo,usb-3,sata-3 dual 1366 cpu, for SpeedEdit 2.0
    Check it out @ evga.com (sr-2).