Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Better Mac Editing

For what it is worth TCXD850 includes the ability to convert to a wide variety of formats "out of the box" including some presets that are designed to be FCP real-time-playback friendly (and higher quality than H.264).

Andrew

That's good news Dr. Cross. Can those capabilities be added as a firmware update to the TCXD300 as well?

Quote Originally Posted by treshawks View Post
    That's good news Dr. Cross. Can those capabilities be added as a firmware update to the TCXD300 as well?
    I am afraid that much as I really would love too, I cannot really speculate about future versions of the products. In general we have developed the TCXD850 to run on the platform that it comes with and have fine tuned it for that. It is quite possible that wish some work some of these things might run on the TCXD300, but I just cannot make promises right now.

A.

Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to use my TCXD300 to it's fullest potential soon and that the export problems to FCP compatible files will soon be a thing of the past.

Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to use my TCXD300 to it's fullest potential soon and that the export problems to FCP compatible files will soon be a thing of the past.
    I should emphasize that our files should work fine in FCP on all versions of the TriCaster. We have checked this here on different machines, and different versions of FCP and they all work correctly.

I will post a thread on the specific things that typically cause people problems getting FCP to work with our files.

That's a good post summarizing typical problems with FCP import. In fact, it outlines the steps we've taken to resolve our issues with Studio Profile imports. In our particular case we still had to resort to third party custom coded software to get a file imported into FCP for editing.

As a side note, we have Red One cameras that are capable of recording 4k files at up to 120fps while simultaneously writing 4 seperate proxy qt files. The proxy files can be imported and edited straight from camera drive. Albeit, ungraded. But the quality is impressive. I think they use a proprietary wavelet technology to achieve this quality/record speed. And, proprietary RedCineX software to grade/edit/export. Any chance of NewTek going a similar wavelet proprietary cross-platform compatible route?

Any chance of NewTek going a similar wavelet proprietary cross-platform compatible route?
    A couple of very quick responses to this :

1) Wavelet compression got a lot of hype a few years ago, largely because it is theoretically quite nice. That said, it has largely been dropped in most modern codec development for a variety of reasons (this has a great summary). Note even that in the next generation of codecs being researched (e.g. H.265) wavelets have pretty much been dropped in favor of more recent advances in DCT-like+motion estimation compression schemes. In general if you go for a really high bit-rate like Red (or we do) all compression schemes are going to look really very good.

2) We could probably use propriety compression formats and indeed have in the past with SpeedHQ. These cause as many problems as they fix, and even if we write a QuickTime wrapper for them (as Red do) we are going to be left with the same problem which is that it will not be a format that FCP tags as "for real-time use".

In conclusion, I am not really quite sure why a propriety solution would actually be much better (other than for bragging rights) than adopting a standard.

Andrew

ps. AVCIntra looks promising, although the fact that it uses arithmetic encoding is somewhat of an issue for real-time encoding on modern CPUs where you need to ensure real-time performance to lots of other system components at the same time.

I appreciate your time, attention, and communications regarding these issues and technologies. You guys have fantastic products and support. I think these growing pains are part of every revolutionary process. Please continue to keep us as informed as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by csandy View Post
    What version of TriCaster STUDIO are you running? 1.0 or 2.5?
    I'm running 2.5. Any suggestions?

Two things come to mind:
    1) Check the version of OSX
    2) Make sure you're using the customized version of handbrake available on these forums instead of the standard app from the handbrake website.

Cold Forever
    Have the Tricaster specific changes been made to the Windows version of Handbrake?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12