Thread: 3D modeling goals.

Rigger / Animator oliversimonnet's Avatar

3D modeling goals.

is one of the goals in 3D modeling to keep it as low poly as you can.
    one of my friends says to never limit your self but i always try and use as few polys as i can

thanx

-oliver
    "If its called a walkie-talkie why isn't a hoover called a pushy-sucky"
    Win7 64 bit, Core i7 930
    18GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 770
    Demo Reel 2012
    www.OliverSimonnet3D.com

Use what will efficiently get you to where you want your model to be visually speaking. It's more about how you build your polys than how little or how many you can make. There's so much more that can be said on this regard especially when it comes to what type of model you are building. Each has it's own needs. Couple that with whether you may be animating it and you've got a bit more to think about.

That's where this forum and other shine the best, there are so many talented individuals here that want to help.
    Michael Borjon
    www.pixelcollab.com

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Depends if you're modelling for game or TV or fun.
    If it's fun, put as much detail into it as you like.
    That said, there's no need to make a heavily divided poly where an N-Gon will do.

I must admit, I started by holding back on the poly-count, but really, if you're after a smooth model, it's always going to look bad when you can see segmentation on spheres and tubes etc.
    Likewise, a micro-bevelled item will always look nicer than one with "CG-sharp" edges, though you can use shaders to fake microbevels in some situations.
    Too old to die young.

a ok thank you.
    most of my models i try ans use as few polys as i can but stil enough to get what i need
    after a model i check it sometimes and use band-glu and get rid of some polys.

so is my way of modeling good or bad?

thank you in advance

-oliver
    Win7 64 bit, Core i7 930
    18GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 770
    Demo Reel 2012
    www.OliverSimonnet3D.com

Your thought train is neither right or wrong. Like CGI Addict said, it depends on what you are doing. Given to your mindset, you are setting yourself up with some very good habits that will lend themselves well to making massive scenes or like Colkai said go very well in games. I have some models sitting around that practically bring Lightwave to a halt on a decent rig. It would be foolish to try to populate a scene with more than a few of these, HD Instance not withstanding. I also have some models that were built to only be viewed from a distance and with the thought that there would be many other models in the scene as well. But your friend is also right in that if you are going for just a cutaway of a piece and don't need to consider the poly limit, why not go for the gusto? So, there isn't really a solid answer for your question. Best way is just to experiment with both and see where each method lends itself best to you.
    Last edited by borkus; 04-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Stay lowpoly for as long as you are working on the overall shape, flow and proportions of a model. Then freeze it with subpatch level 2 or CC level 1. Add details and then remove unnecessary edge loops by using SwiftEdgeLoop / Band Glue. That's roughly how I do it.

Not sure exactly when and where it was, but Larry Shultz got me thinking of sub-d polygons as a kind of primitive spline/nurb surface, and I guess that also fits in with the term MetaNurbs (and HyperNurbs in C4D). I don't think I would ever want to work in an application that does not allow me to work directly on the sub-d cage (isolines?) of the model.

Also, in this day and age, polycounts have less and less impact on renders, unless you are doing realtime 3D on a console or handheld.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LowPoly.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	83854  
    Last edited by MentalFish; 04-08-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    Petter Sundnes
    Free LScripts

17 years ago when I got into 3D it was all about as few polys as possible. However I think most of that was because of the low processing power of the time. Back then I hard modeled everything with as few polys as possible, but as time has gone by and as processing power increased I’ve pretty much got away from hard modeling and now SubD about everything. The nice thing about SubD’s is the flexible poly count. I’ve seen some really nice hard modeled objects that were absolutely beautifully rendered, only to have dead give away facets. With today’s Dual Cores and better, low polys are out of vogue, unless you are involved with games and some real-time web stuff. With the advancements in LW’s renderer and FPrime, high poly SubDed models are not much of an issue in normal scenes.

Same here as far as using SubD's.
    Michael Borjon
    www.pixelcollab.com

aaa ok wicked thank you for the info guys.

thank you

-oliver
    Win7 64 bit, Core i7 930
    18GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 770
    Demo Reel 2012
    www.OliverSimonnet3D.com