Thread: Xd300 crashes while live production

Xd300 crashes while live production

Hello to everyone.

We recently upgraded our Tricaster Broadcast to a Tricaster XD300.

The machine is beautiful, easy to use, but it is crashing while we are on a live standard definition newscast production (16x9).

Here's what we've been doing with it before it crashes:

We have three cameras connected, one of them being used for Chroma Key. We use a few Titles, a few Stills for out Chroma Key, and about 5 MP4 video clips (Encoded on Premier Pro CS4: h.264 NTSC DV Widescreeen High Quality).

Cameras 1 and 2 are SD and only shoot 4x3 (used for anchors), and camera 3 is SD set to provide 4x3, not 16x9 (used for Chroma Key).

The video clips we playback, as specified above, are all widescreen SD video.

When we start the live production, the XD300 works without a hickup. And then, after a few minutes, without a prelude, it simply crashes. The machine shows boot screen, and when we reinitiate the Live Production it shuts down the composite program video output (it can still be seen in the Tricaster's computer screen).

To get the composite program video output working again, we must completely reboot the XD300.

Any ideas?
    I need some help ASAP. I fought to death to get the budget approved and now I am in the spotlight.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by UTAcomm; 02-25-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Have you done a software update yet? A new build came out very recently, might help.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

xd300 updated

Yes, our engineer did apply the update to the xd300. This update came out just a few days ago, I would say, I week ago.

And even before the update the engineer had to reboot it a couple of times.

Still need some help. HELP!

I'm still having problems with the TCXD300. It crashes during live productions (see above description).

Anyone? Help?

Did you encounter any issues during the installation? I've heard of a few cases where, for reasons unknown, at the end of the installation the reboot which should have happened automatically did not occur. In turn, this seems to have led to some issues.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

We installed it, but it did not automatically reboot.

We will perform a restore and let you know what happens... thanks so much. We'll start from here.

Julian.

FWIW, one of the engineers told me 'they need to make it all the way through the install and then reboot, and it should work. I don't know why the installer reboot (failed) but it's not the first time I've heard something like this."
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

We had a BSOD IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash yesterday. We talked to a support technician and he suggested re-seating the cards. I did that this morning and It seemed to boot faster. It operates a little quicker too. So far so good; we're crossing our fingers.

XD300 crashes during live productions

We have XD300 that is three weeks old. Twice during live production it has exited to the Tricaster boot menu. (The menu where you select to enter live production) Both times I was switching. Is there a certain keystroke or combination that is caseing this? The first time I was switching with mouse click. The second time I was switching with the spacebar.

We also experienced crashes with the XD300 the other day, but the behavior was different. Rather than showing the boot screen, the computer displays simply went black while the video output (via component) locked up and showed a freeze of the last frame before the crash.

These crashes have been happening all day Saturday (it's been completely unusable) until I simply gave up and decided to shut it down and let it relax through the weekend until I can investigate the problem further on Monday.

It's worth noting that these crashes started happening after I let the XD run for 2 straight days streaming a loop to a Flash server. Before, it's never been in operation for more than 2 hours at a time. Practically and theoretically, can it handle 24/7 operation?

The setup during the crashes was 2 SDI sources and both 720p and 480i projects. First I was recording the stream but then stopped after crashes started happening, however they continued. I even set it outside on a balcony (60F night LA air) thinking that maybe it was overheating, same thing.

Newbie Member
    This is just a speculation nothing I can guarantee to work. After operating the XD300 for a comtinous period of time our unit also suddenly had freezes BSODs and such. Our Tech guy was suspecting the memory to be faulty and ran some test on it which confirmed that it was corrupted. Those were the memory units delivered by default. Neither did we exchange them nor open the case before those crashes and the head of department booted it up upon delivery and it seemed to be working. However after running it for a while those crashes happened just like with your unit. We contacted Tech Support and they send us replacement RAM Units and now everything seems to be fine.
    I don't know if you have a similar case and in no way I want to badmouth the Tricaster since if you get it running it's a true beauty but sometimes you are just unlucky. Try running some test on the memory if possible and you are willing enough, or try reseating the cards as stated above.
    And keep us updated since I'm still trying to figure out what might have gone wrong.

Kind Regards

So tech support advised me to install some updates, which I did, to no avail. I think I may have faulty memory like Liang as the unit shut down even when trying to restore the C drive, which was completely out of Windows, so software would have nothing to do with it.

Sent the unit in to NewTek today, will keep you all updated as things progress.

I think that there are a couple of different problems reported on this thread. If your TriCaster TCXD300 is giving you a BSOD or locking the machine completely you should definitely contact technical support to get information.

If however you are seeing a problem where the Live screen just exits you back to the TriCaster launch panel, then there is currently a patch "rev 1b" on the registered web site that will almost certainly resolve your problems. The communication about this patch is going to come in the next day or so, but you can get it already if you want.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    If however you are seeing a problem where the Live screen just exits you back to the TriCaster launch panel, then there is currently a patch "rev 1b" on the registered web site that will almost certainly resolve your problems. The communication about this patch is going to come in the next day or so, but you can get it already if you want.
    Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Our XD300 doesn't simply exist to the launch panel, it becomes completely inoperable. The displays go black, video output freezes and all tally lights light up amber. This even happened while using the disk restore option in the boot menu (Windows not even booted), so it leads me to believe it's a major hardware issue, not a software one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitry G View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Our XD300 doesn't simply exist to the launch panel, it becomes completely inoperable. The displays go black, video output freezes and all tally lights light up amber. This even happened while using the disk restore option in the boot menu (Windows not even booted), so it leads me to believe it's a major hardware issue, not a software one.
    I really hate to give to strong diagnosis on the forums without the ability to really investigate your particular issues, but on the fact of it I would not disagree with you. I would however call technical support to talk about this.

Andrew