Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the smart guys (and girls)

Newbie Member

Questions for the smart guys (and girls)

Have been making static product shots for a few years now here, never did any animated stuff, I usually render a wireframe (poly coloring) of the concept and a full blown image at final approval. Now, the boss would like to see an animation( or as he call it a movie) of a wireframe model that simply rotates and changes into the full color realistic thing. I can rotate and keyframe and have a knowledge of some real simple stuff but I have no darn idea where to begin with the fading in and out type of stuff. Can someone point me in the right direction or give some much appreciated advice?

Also, as far as the save-as options for animations where can i learn about what formats and settings are used for web, film, video, etc.

Thanks,
    Nino

I'd render a wireframe shot and a solid shot separately, then composite the fade afterwards, rather than trying to get LW to do it.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Newbie Member
    That came to mind, however....please refrain the giggles.......even thought I have had AE on my box for years......um, i never used it, not a thing. Like i said I make static one offs of product designs....never needed animations.

dont shoot the messenger!

just trying to find a down and dirty way in LW (9.6) to make a quick visual.

There are usually several ways to go about anything in lightwave. I would use the envolopes in the surfaces panel to control the textures in time.

Do a online search for "files for web movies" etc.

There are some free utilites for converting "movies" to different types of files online. Do a search for free conversion utilities.

Hope this helps.

Newbie Member
    no envelopes on the render edges panel

But there are envelopes in the surface color Texture options.
    One layer your color poly wireframe.
    One layer a UV map of the finished car.
    Envelope the opacity of the layer with the UV map.

But what I think your boss really wants is for you to render a 360 of the wireframe.
    Then render a 360 0f the finished product. Then in AE do a soft edge wipe going from bottom to top (or top to bottom) so that the wireframe seems to be transforming into the finished product.

There could be a way to get the same effect inside LW using a gradient that has been enveloped...maybe.

Do you have access to a video editor?

Learning how to use AE to do this is going to be a lot easier than learning how to do it in Lightwave. AE is really simple. Just find some basic AE tutorial and you'll get it done in like five minutes.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Newbie Member
    no video editor

...i must clarify...at work, chained to a desk, on a 10 yr old mac......wanting miracles with threats of job loss....yippie!

leaning towards dex's method....any idea on output?

Newbie Member
    Yep, gotta get some tuts on AE.
    Put it on the list after I cure cancer.

....let me again put this into perspective, this place just got off dialup!

Here's another way in LW.
    1. render and save your edges with the animation.
    2. render and save your textured animation.
    3. Model a plane with the same aspect ratio as the above renders.
    4. Set the plane and Camera up in layout so the camera covers all the plane.
    5. Texture the plane with the renders.
    6. Do a dissolve using the envelopes under the surface options panel
    7. Done

Newbie Member
    setting it up now. thanks guys. sounds crude but the 2 planes method works just fine for this. I appreciate your responese.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    It would take roughly an hour to learn how to do the fade in After Effects, including finding your way round the application, loading the images in and rendering out the finished piece...for a complete novice.

Alternatively, doing it in Lightwave is going to look nowhere near as good, take a lot more setting up and be a complete PITA if your boss wants to adjust a surface.

Video copilot has some brilliant training videos for after effects, you'll be a pro in no time...honestly, it's going to save you and your boss so much time and headaches.

I was about to say that, so I'll simply second it:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/#all_tutorials

I am using AE more and more these days to get shots done - just finished a low-budget (as in: very low budget) HD broadcast history show with quite a bit of cgi. Ended up doing alot of stuff in AE.

Seriously, take a closer look, and definitely look at Video Copilot. Just don't tell your boss where you learned all that cool stuff

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

Newbie Member
    Thanks again...going to look into AE more now.

Finished it the hard way...at least I got it out for now....dosent look too bad either (at least they were impressed enough).

Did some digging on AE, must agree with you guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast