Thread: Upgrade from Vue 5 Inifinite $395 (finally!)

Upgrade from Vue 5 Inifinite $395 (finally!)

Waited years, now I will finally buy Vue. Got the free Vue 5 with Lightwave way back. They just emailed with offer for upgrade path from Vue 5 to Vue 8 for $395. Not bad! Glad I waited, but to be honest I never expected them to make such an offer.

Now, just need to work out what I subtract from my life to fit Vue in.

Craptose Intolerant UltraViolet's Avatar
    Oh, man, I just do not know is it worth it ...

I own Vue6 Infinite and just got the email the other day to upgrade to Vue8Infinite for "only" $345.

I just never been happy enough with vegetation in Vue. Trees suck in closeup shots (my opinion) and that should have been addressed long time ago, even in version 8 they still do not have plant modeler (that is where Vue should be the best at) ...

And, don't make me even start about Anti Aliasing.

Maybe next year, lol
    These moments, as beautiful as they are, are evil when they're gone...

Maybe those issues are valid, but from what I can see the latest version has amazing features. Creating endless roads easily for long tracking shots, not worrying about reaching the end of the mesh or repeating the same textures. This wasn't as easy to do in earlier versions.

I also like the quality of clouds in version 8. I was never that impressed with the clouds - even version 7 looked plastic to me. But the renders I've seen for version 8, the clouds look impressive. I'm hoping my impressions are correct and they've finally nailed clouds - so important to get them looking realistic.

The other thing is my 3dConnexxion space navigator mouse is finally supported!

Yeah, I rec'd the same email the other day. This about two months after me sending e-on an email inquiring about an upgrade path for us Vue 5 owners. The reply was basically 'no'. So I'm surprised to see this offer now. Perhaps they got a lot of email requests about this. Anyway, I'm tempted to get it (offer expires Feb. 16) but am wondering if 8 worth the upgrade even if at a substantial discount. I'm going to go do some user review research.

Thoughts?
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Newbie Member

Upgraded to VUE 8

I took the deal to upgrade from VUE 5 to 8 Infinite stand alone program and was very surprised. It has yet to crash. However LW objects are best imported as .obj files. If imported directly as LW objects the textures are all off unless they are attached to UV maps.
    The rendering is slow but when you consider what is being calculated in spectral atmospheres along with radiostiy it seems appropriate.
    Attached is a first attempt at using VUE 8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KenPIERtest3.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	546.9 KB 
ID:	81934  

I always thought of Vue as a nice way to make matte paintings. I would manually model and texture the closeups personally.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Vue8 export to LW--- getting started question

I just started using Vue8 with LW9.6 and after reading the Vue manual still can't figure out how to get anything from Vue to appear in LW. I have the terrain and atmosphere .LWO's and a few .BMP's but it looks nothing like a scene. I think some users just import to Vue and not export from Vue. If anyone has a tip for me to get started on the Vue to LW export, let me know. Thanks. I'm still searching the forums....

Uh, yeah...

you really have to work around a lot of things in Vue,
    so I passed on the upgrade even at the offered pricing.

Until xStream is at 100%, you can use those same workarounds
    in a very light version of their software for far less.

And I realize that there's a new guy/gal here thinking they can
    create a great flyby down a long road through the trees with the wind
    blowing and the clouds just so...
    uh, yeah.

Hope you remember how to comp.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    Attached is a first attempt at using VUE 8.
    Nice! Beats the pants off of my first render (attached). On the other hand, I've never used any earlier versions of Vue.

Quote Originally Posted by medicalart View Post
    I just started using Vue8 with LW9.6 and after reading the Vue manual still can't figure out how to get anything from Vue to appear in LW.
    Assuming Vue 8 xStream, there are instructions in the PDF manual on the steps you have to take to get the Vue tab to show up in lightwave. I just did this recently and successfully imported a Vue scene. The downside is it doesn't seem work with spherical terrains in quite the manner I need at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Landscape_Alpha.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	842.7 KB 
ID:	83138  

Yeah, nice.

but again, you can get that from a cheap version.

Look around for some serious animation using Vue that didn't export everything into a fully working app or a time when Vue wasn't just used for large mattes...
    all of which can be done on the cheap in Vue Pro or whatnot.

The beauty will be when xStream is fully functional.

My last pass with it had issues with alphas, selective lighting, selective rendering, flickering, ugh and on and on.

You don't notice at first...
    to quote a great flick...
    "yeah sure, at first it's ooo and ahhhh, but then later there's running...and screaming" - Jeff Goldblum

Don't concentrate too much on those with pretty pictures, this is fairly simple in Vue... look around for those HD animations, find the creator's name, and then start firing those oooo's ahhhh's ohhhhh's and questions.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

Although Moondog's image is stunning.
    Makes me want to leave work early and hit the beach.
    - Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by lwaddict View Post
    "yeah sure, at first it's ooo and ahhhh, but then later there's running...and screaming" - Jeff Goldblum
    Yep, I knew there were issues going in to this, so I'm prepared to start using workarounds when necessary.

(That's one of my favorite quote from JP2, btw...)

Thanks for taking my warning for what it's worth and not getting angry, ugh...the stories I could tell...

But yeah, the program is a very powerful tool but should literally have a Surgeon General's Warning on the side of the box due to the stress levels of people dropping in right into their workflow based on what E-On claims it can do... it's a royal pain in the ars to work it this way.

Knowing the old school method of comping, layering, etc will give you a great 'starting point'... then, when you've got time, patience, and an endless supply of alcohol and cigarettes, you can try really pushing it to see what can be done.

Again, I love the tool...
    but a legal warning should be on that thing due to the stress AND it's addictive qualities.
    - Thomas A. Edison

I didn't get Xtreme, just Vue Infinite, and getting LWO into Vue works, but getting things out of Vue, well, I have yet to figure it out. I like the idea of the Surgeon General's warning!

Quote Originally Posted by lwaddict View Post
    Thanks for taking my warning for what it's worth and not getting angry, ugh...the stories I could tell...
    Warnings are good! While I did finally plunk down the cash for xStream, it was only after weighing in all the issues and warnings I've read about from other users.

I have some comp experience and may even still get Synth Eyes for tracking-in LW objects for shots that don't want to cooperate.