Thread: Large scale texture displacement maps.

Newbie Member

Question Large scale texture displacement maps.

Hey all.

I am using the honeycomb procedural as a color map for a large scale object (building). I am also using a texture displacement(turbulence) layer beneath the honeycomb layer to add some variation to the honeycomb. The problem is: the larger I scale up my textures beyond 1m...the less the displacement effect becomes. The honeycomb scales fine beyond 1m...but I lose the texture displacement effect. Any suggestions?

try scaling the turbulance by the same amount

Newbie Member
    Tried enlarging the turbulence to no avail. Theoretically that's supposed to dot the trick. Right? Im using 9.6, OS X 10.5.7. Wondering if this is a glitch. Really weird. Anything beyond 1m and the turbulence displacement starts to lose its effect. Thanks for the post Splinegod!

you might try to increase the texture displacement layers 100% value to something insane like
    2000 or something to see if it starts to add the effect to it..then tune it down once you see that the effect kicks in..

also you might wanna check world coordinates sometimes.
    and make sure you havenīt unchecked the layer accidently.

Michael

Newbie Member
    Success gentlemen!!!!

Prometheus and Splinegod...thank you both.
    I set up an entirely new scene with new models and everything is peachy now. Go figure

Both of your suggestions work like a charm and everything appears normal! I can scale up my turbulence displacement as large as I want now and the effect is retained. They way it should be.