Thread: Light shining threw traincabine ?

Light shining threw traincabine ?

Good evening everyone,

I have a steamtrain cabine where I put a light (spherical/inverse distance 10m/lensflares/etc...) and when viewing it in the opengl view, it shines and leaves a mark on the steamkettle of the train threw the window glass. However, when rendering it, it doesn't show the beautifull rays of light on the kettle surface. Can someone tell me what/which settings I must change to accomplish this ?

Thank you,
    Johan

It might be helpful if you provided a bit more information, preferably with some images of what it looks like at the moment.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Thanks for the reply Captain Obvious, will take some screenshots when I get home, I am at work now.

As said, here are some screenshots, as you will see, the first one is a render where you see the light shining threw the doorglas and it shows on the walk board along the side of the steam kettle, however, the small window on the side isn't showing any light going threw it seems, shouldn't that be the case aswell. If you look however at the second printscreen, you'll notice that their, there is a streak of light shining on the kettle itself.

My question is, is this the light also that is shining or has this something to do with OpenGL ?

In case you are wondering, the light is centered in the cabine just beneath the roof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabineLightRender.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	80614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabineLightOne.JPG 
Views:	411 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	80615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabineLightTwo.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	80616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabineLightThree.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	80617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabineLightFour.JPG 
Views:	358 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	80618  

Another one I have:

I can't seem to be able to get the FrontLight correct, the idea is to have it shine threw the front round glass and both side glasses. Problem I have though is, when looking from afar, you can see the light shining but once closer, the light seems to shine correctly when you put the camera infront of it, but once looking on the side, it doesn't shine at the front or the sides.

Any idea what I have to change here ?

Edit: I was just thinking, perhaps one solution would be to add two more lights that shine left and right ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLightOne.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	80619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLightTwo.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	80620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLightThree.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	80621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLightScreenshot.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	353.6 KB 
ID:	80622  
    Last edited by Joker II; 12-28-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Possible solution ?

The problem is the "fade behind object" feature. Well, turn it off will cause another problem, the flare shining throuh the object, so I think you could clone the front light, make it a point light and and turn off affect diffuse/highlight and turn lens flare. Move it a little and make certain that when your camera moves it ll not be behind the light "cage" corners.

EDIT: well, just turn off "fade behind obj" and take a look if it looks good!
    Last edited by caesar; 12-31-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    Moro num pais tropical...
    Discerne.com - personal blog