Thread: Problem with Lightwave work disappearing...

Problem with Lightwave work disappearing...

Hello, everyone.

I am new these forums, and am not very tech savvy when it comes to 3D, but I have been using Lightwave for about 3 years- so hopefully someone can help me with my problem. ;-)

Has this ever happened to anyone?
    Once in a while-- I will be working on a character model in Lightwave for about 3 or 4 hours in a sitting, and in that sitting I will have hit shift + S saving increments all the way up to version .005 or so and then close it. Then, I come back to it later (like the next day) and all of those versions from that sitting have disappeared! The only thing that exists is a version from the prior sitting from the day before.

And it gets weirder--
    Recently when this happened, it was a model that I was building using an imported .OBJ character as reference cut up into sections put into different layers, in between my actual LW work layers.

Once again-- saved incremental to about version .003 and closed it. A couple of weeks later, I re-open it and all of my LW work is GONE. The only thing left is the .OBJ reference layers, with blank layers in between where all of my LW work was. In all 3 files increments!

Anyone have any ideas?

Chris Scalf

Could it be saving in a different directory? Have you done a search for it?

I've never had that happen in all my years of using LW.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Yeah... I did the whole "search for .lwo" files thinking that was (hopefully) it. But nope.

My theory is that it is not the LW, but the machine.

Is it saving the file extension? This hasn't happened in a while, but occasionally I used to get that problem, it would save it as "fileX' rather than "fileX.lwo"
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Yeah.The extension is there... And I am able to open the ones that have the .obj layers in them. But as I said, the work that I did between those layers disappeared.
    Chris Scalf

www.chrisscalf.com

Are you saving the obj to an lwo before you start doing the incremental saves?
    Blog

Specs:
    Desktop: Q6600 Quad 2.4 ghz, 8GB, 8800 1Gb, Vista Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Core 2 Duo, 2GB, ATI craptastic video card, XP

and some funny looking Mac's that I don't know much about.

I've seen this. Couldn't replicate and it went away. I'm not sure what else to share. Suffice it to say, it was only for a short time that it had this behavior.

Ah ha! Even if I don't get an answer on what it is or how to fix it, it's at least good to see that I'm not crazy and someone else has seen it! :-)

Yeah, I can see how it would be hard to replicate or track down-- it is such an inconsistent event. I think it has happened at least 4 times in the last year and a half... And under no specific circumstance. I guess probably the safest thing to do would be if it is a high priority job with no time for error, I will have to save a copy to a travel drive and open it on another machine just to make sure it exists before I shut it down on the main system I am working on.

Thanks.
    Chris Scalf

www.chrisscalf.com

Amused
    I have a stock character with 11 layers. I modify some of the colors and shapes on some of the layers to make new characters. One time I deleted everything in one layer before using Object>Replace in Layout to create the new scene for a new character. From that point forward I had to always import that layer separately, even when it had something in it. Then I noticed that the faulty layer was out of sequence in the scene editor list of layers. When I moved it into place, everything worked again like it's supposed to after that.

Sometimes little things create a twitch...

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Make sure that the Hub is set to autosave every 5mins or so...I've not had your problem but the autosave has helped me out sooooo many times when it has crashed. I've got a shortcut to the LWHub folder on my desktop...it gets used a lot.