Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with the Stream or Die?

What's with the Stream or Die?

According to the page, they're in LA right with a live webcast.

But, it's not live.

What am I missing?

I am not sure if they changed plans, but it currently lists the webcast as tomorrow. I would guess a replay of todays presentation.

The event today would have been tough to stream with the Mini as it was inside, and the hotel would have been in the way of any ToDo satellite shot even if they had been outside. I am guessing with the right setting they will use the mini to stream.

Scheduled Webcasts:

Wednesday, Oct. 28 – Los Angeles
    Friday, Oct 30 – Weekly Wrap-up Stream
    Friday, Nov. 6 – Weekly Wrap-up Stream
    Friday, Nov. 13 – Weekly Wrap-up Stream
    Tuesday, Nov. 17 – New York City

Kinda defeats the idea of a live webcast from anywhere doesn't it?

Newbie Member
    Yeah, you'd have thought someone would have worked out a contingency. Unfortunate name for the event too - "Stream or Die". Well it didn't stream, so...

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    NewTek wanted to maximize attendance at the L.A. event, and didn't want customers thinking, "Why drive to Universal City when I can just tune in the stream from my desk?"

The phrase "Stream or Die" refers to the much larger picture - that Radio & Television as we know it now is undergoing a fundamental shift from terrestrial broadcasting to streaming.

As TriCaster can simultaneously stream and archive, NewTek will have an archived version of the event for viewing this week.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Newbie Member
    OK, So it was canceled? I don't get it. The bigger picture would be that Newtek want to get the world streaming but don't want to do it themselves??? Doesn't make sense if that's what you're saying.

I don't imagine that this will be the norm, but it sounds rather like the 'local blackout' you get for some televised events - in order to make local turnout better. I'd assume LA was deemed a special case.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

DIE...is that the choice???

Why say "Scheduled Webcasts:" at http://stream.newtek.com/watch.php if there aren't actually any plans to actually have a "webcast."

I completely understand the reason for having the event on October 27, then streaming it the next day. Very reasonable to me. However, not showing it the next day (as advertised) leads me to believe that maybe something is broken, and is not as reliable as it needs to be for MY potential live/streamed events.

Newbie Member
    Technical failure or marketing mistake. Either way they're not exactly covering themselves in glory. A real shame though, the equipment has a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Streaming Simon View Post
    Either way they're not exactly covering themselves in glory. A real shame though, the equipment has a lot of potential.
    Actually, from what I've heard so far, they really are.

I'm sorry if some were disappointed though, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm sure such things will be considered as the mighty mini rolls along.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thumbs down

According to todocast.tv: "there is no archived video from yesterday from the Los Angeles stop as they did not broadcast live from there".

Brilliant! A big marketing push, then no follow-through on the promised "Scheduled Webcasts."

http://stream.newtek.com/watch.php
    Based on this schedule (if you believe the schedule is accurate, which may be a stretch after today), it would appear that there will be no live webcasts at all. This is particularly strange, given the satellite dish on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lara View Post
    NewTek wanted to maximize attendance at the L.A. event, and didn't want customers thinking, "Why drive to Universal City when I can just tune in the stream from my desk?"

The phrase "Stream or Die" refers to the much larger picture - that Radio & Television as we know it now is undergoing a fundamental shift from terrestrial broadcasting to streaming.

As TriCaster can simultaneously stream and archive, NewTek will have an archived version of the event for viewing this week.
    Are you serious?

Let me check to see if it's April 1st....someone sounds pretty foolish.

I think YouTube already beat you to streaming 'archived video'.

Perhaps technical problems this time around,and at the next location it will be a streamed
    event!

Always Learning

Unhappy "Streamordie" Missed sales!

I feel your pain !
    I have had six very upset phone calls as to is this real!!
    One even had a group with investors waiting to see and put down money for 2 "Production bundles!"
    Sadly they are now going to consider other shipping options instead of waiting for "Vaporware!" Their comment!
    Such potential! such a miss!
    Please post a stream schedule or take it down!
    It is causing BIG MISGIVINGS!

Sounds like from Paul's post, that it was a decision made to maximize attendance. Which makes some sense, I know i would have thought twice about driving up there through LA traffic had there been a webcast option.

That said Newtek would be well served to updated their website, and have their "social media guru" update their Twitter to reflect such changes as they happen. That's the point of having thing like twitter streams, but that's a whole different rant

I can tell you it was good presentation, the XD300 only crashed once (it's still Beta they reminded us!), and when they post the archive it will be worth watching.

I agree that it's a bit of a marketing blunder, but i'm sure further clarification from Newtek staff can smooth much of that out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast