Thread: animated texture?

Newbie Member

animated texture?

is it possible to animate a texture to make a time lapse animation of the surface.... I have a shiny gear rotating that I want to dull, tarnish, and begin to rust through time of the animation. Is this possible to do? and What would be the best way to achieve this?

The simplest way is to create two surfaces and use the surfmix shader to blend from the nice shiney surface to the dull tarnished one.

Newbie Member

thanks man

Thanks man. I will definately give that a try. I may try it with three textures if that is possible... By the way, you're stuff is awesome. I'm just a beginner trying to break out in the field.

Thanks. The nice thing about the surfmix shader is that you can blend the surfaces using standard textures.

I've never used the Surf Mix shader, but I would think that you would have a lot more control using nodes, or even multi-layers with envelopes on opacity to make them fade in or out over time?
    Using nodes you could easily have an animated grit node, or amb_occlusion control the opacity of mixed materials or shaders. The possibilities are endless for mixing 2 or more surfaces.