Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Support for Transitions

Audio Support for Transitions

At Steve Bowie's prompting, I am posting a feature request for existing Tricasters to support audio files with transitions.

The idea is to have a swoosh sound or something like that when transitioning to a replay in sports.

Such transitions, perhaps, could not have speed adjustment in the TC control panel, as changing transition speed would cause the sound to change as well.

Volume for the transitions could be controlled by an audio dial like the headphones volume control. I don't think a full fader bad would be necessary.

Thanks,

Zach

We Make Effective FX! DiscreetFX's Avatar
    Great feature request.

DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!
    DVE's & LiveSets for VT[5], TriCasters & SpeedEDIT 2.

Old-schoolers will remember that this was a feature in NewTek's Video Toaster that ran on the Commodore Amiga platform back in the '90s (added in version 3, along with HAM8 color overlay DVEs, if memory serves) It would be nice to have it back - especially for folks using a logo wipe to bring in a replay during sports.

It could be implemented as relatively simply as the software looking for a .wav file of the same name as the DVE, like the way filehandling is done for DVE icons now - that wouldn't require any changes to the DVE format - just the switcher software.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    You can do it with VT and Keyboard Sounder Pro software. You install the software and make a new set, I call my set, VT. Then you add sound files to the keys. I added a camera shutter sound file to the space bar and then saved my VT set.
    I then make sure VT is the selected set and run VT. I select the camera shutter DVE and change its setting to fast and press the space bar. The camera shutter sound plays on cue with no delays
    Now the major down side is you have to manually change the sound file in Keyboard Sounder Pro but if you have a signature sound file you want to play with your signature DVE, then this is not so bad as you would use the space bar to activate your signature DVE and play the sound file and use the mouse button on AUTO for all other transition or the enter key for Takes.
    The program has the ability to change the hot key to turn on and off the sound. Default is CTRL + E for on and CTRL + D for off. This comes in handy for working in the CG or Title templates as well as not having to stop using the space bar to run transitions on other DVE's. Just turn it on via the hot key before your signature DVE and then hot key it off after.

I don't dare install it on my TriCaster but it is fun to hear a sound with a transition in VT

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I would go a step further than that Jose.

It's very simple to add an extra hotkey to do the same thing as the space bar. That same key could be set to do the sound playback as well, freeing the spacebar for sound-free transitions.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Nice find Jose! I was always thinking of ways to do this inside VT or TC. This is a great approach. I agree with Bill. We can make small macros for each transition we use and assign specific unique keyboard shortcuts. Each transition would have it's own sound effect.

This is going to make some of my clients very happy.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Will you be testing this on a TriCaster for us Jef?

Bill or Jef,
    How does one assign a hotkey to a particular DVE in VT and in TriCaster?

Thanks,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

// Shortcut - Select a DVE and auto
    CreateShortCut ("F12",code(
    SetDVENumber(1)
    ts_Wait()
    Auto()
    ),"Always", 1000)
    Name it whateveryouwant.toasterscript then put it in a user scripts folder for the switcher. You can put multiple snippets of code like this in the same script, for multiple keys.

That should do it. I haven't tested it on a Tricaster. You might need to actually select the DVE first, to avoid the chance of a transition while the new DVE is still loading from the set DVE command

Change F12 to whatever key you are going to use, the priority number (1000) is high enough it should override whatever other function may have been on a key you select. Change set DVE number to the DVE bin number you want the sound linked to that key to go with. Note that the bin starts with 0 then goes up (1 is the second slot in the bin).

Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    Name it whateveryouwant.toasterscript then put it in a user scripts folder for the switcher. You can put multiple snippets of code like this in the same script, for multiple keys.

That should do it. I haven't tested it on a Tricaster. You might need to actually select the DVE first, to avoid the chance of a transition while the new DVE is still loading from the set DVE command

Change F12 to whatever key you are going to use, the priority number (1000) is high enough it should override whatever other function may have been on a key you select. Change set DVE number to the DVE bin number you want the sound linked to that key to go with. Note that the bin starts with 0 then goes up (1 is the second slot in the bin).
    Yep. What he said.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

So, let's say I want to try this with a Tricaster. I have "swoosh.wav". Looking at your code, I'm not quite sure where I enter the filename for the audio file. Or am I misunderstanding something?

The script is for assigning F12 to DVE/Transition number one. For the sound, you would need to install Keyboard Sounder Pro software. If you read the entire thread, you will see how I found this program and tested it with VT but did not with TriCaster and then Bill and Jef suggested using a script to assign a keyboard short cut of your choosing. Then Bill kindly supplied the script to start me or anyone off of which Jef approves
    As of yet, I have not tested it with the TriCaster but if you do, please let me know if it works.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

01) On the VT, DVE 1 is the first on the bank and not zero. I tested it a few times to be sure by changing the number to 2 or 3 and it matches up perfectly. Maybe it used to be zero but now it is one.
    02) Is there a way add to your script to go back to DVE 1 after you execute? This would always bring my selected transition to DVE 1, which I like to keep and Cross Fade DVE and ready for the space bar.
    03) Is there a way to set the speed of the DVE via the script to match the sound speed to the DVE?

FYI: I finally tested it on my TriCaster and it works only if you hold down the shift key while TriCaster launches. Also, you have to patch the line out of the TriCaster mother boards built-in audio card (on the back of the TriCaster) into your mixer or TriCaster audio inputs. This is pretty good since you can adjust the volume to your desire (wish the DDR could be routed out this way).
    Another thing, I can't figure out where to place the toaster script for the switcher to make it work on the TriCaster. I assumed it was:
    BoxDesktop\Live_Tab\Switcher
    But that did not work. Any ideas as to where the scripts should be placed for TriCaster?

Thanks in advance,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I will have a look tomorrow morning. You are looking under the right area if you are adding scripts with buttons but for keyboard shortcuts I believe I have had the best results adding them to the ToasterScript file for dedicated Keyboard Shortcuts. should be under the Resources folder I think.

Like I said, gotta look tomorrow to be sure.

Cool concept though, thanks for figuring it out.
    Last edited by PIZAZZ; 12-06-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    01) On the VT, DVE 1 is the first on the bank and not zero. I tested it a few times to be sure by changing the number to 2 or 3 and it matches up perfectly. Maybe it used to be zero but now it is one.
    02) Is there a way add to your script to go back to DVE 1 after you execute? This would always bring my selected transition to DVE 1, which I like to keep and Cross Fade DVE and ready for the space bar.
    03) Is there a way to set the speed of the DVE via the script to match the sound speed to the DVE?

2 -- Yes you can add a line of script at the very end of the script to do just that.

3 -- You can do that but it will have to be done on a case by case basis with lots of trial and error. SetDVESpeed is the command I believe.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    I will have a look tomorrow morning. You are looking under the right area if you are adding scripts with buttons but for keyboard shortcuts I believe I have had the best results adding them to the ToasterScript file for dedicated Keyboard Shortcuts. should be under the Resources folder I think.

Like I said, gotta look tomorrow to be sure.

Cool concept though, thanks for figuring it out.
    Yes it is considering everyone has for years told me it can not be done
    Hope you can figure the script part out for me Jef (or Bill or anyone).

Thank you very much,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast