Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: OT: Quality Seal

  1. #1
    Pancakes! IMI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    7,124

    OT: Quality Seal

    How many of you remember when, and why the "quality seal" on products came into practice?

    The truth is, it's not a "quality" seal, but rather a seal to assure you some psychopath hasn't dropped cyanide into your mouthwash, jelly,or hot sauce, among many other things.

    Ain't advertising lingo grand?
    Last edited by IMI; 09-05-2009 at 01:10 AM.

  2. #2
    User.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Prizren, Dardania
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by IMI View Post
    How many of you remember when, and why the "quality seal" on products came into practice?

    The truth is, it's not a "quality" seal, but rather a seal to assure you some psychopath hasn't dropped cyanide into your mouthwash, jelly,or hot sauce, among many other things.

    Ain't advertising lingo grand?
    So, its only to prove that the normal things that you eat arent poisnous huh?

    Here there are state sealed stuff, but theyre mostly about pills and other essentials. Like coat of arms of kosova Rep, sealed in somewhat good looking sticky paper. Its to show that theyve been taken under control, and they are what they pretend to be. That sounds like your quality seal. It doesnt overstress some God knows quality, it just tells that it is what theyre telling that they are for you to buy em.

  3. #3
    Pancakes! IMI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by DiedonD View Post
    So, its only to prove that the normal things that you eat arent poisnous huh?
    That's how it began, at least. Back in the early 80's someone put cyanide in Tylenol capsules and put them back on the store shelf somewhere. Or maybe in a few different stores. A few people died because of it, and then I think there were some copycats afterward.

    I probably should have said marketing lingo instead of advertising lingo above.


    So somewhere along the way the marketers of products began using the safety seals, and calling them "Quality Seals", instead of something like "Immediate and Unexpected Death Prevention Seal".
    Last edited by IMI; 09-05-2009 at 09:21 AM.

  4. #4
    We've got it simple. Jim_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Posts
    4,028
    What about this one?


  5. #5
    CG Generalist akademus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dubai, UAE
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by IMI View Post
    How many of you remember when, and why the "quality seal" on products came into practice?

    The truth is, it's not a "quality" seal, but rather a seal to assure you some psychopath hasn't dropped cyanide into your mouthwash, jelly,or hot sauce, among many other things.

    Ain't advertising lingo grand?
    It's the same with SuperBrands. They attach the sticker to make you think you are getting top notch stuff. Only thing you get is larger debt on your credit card. I started avoiding big brands long time ago. I'm somewhat educated in the field, but if you ever red No logo from Naomi Campbell you'd probably act the same way.

    I ordered super el cheapo Bluetooth adapter for 1.5$ from chinese retailer on ebay. It arrived today and works flawlessly. I already connected 3 different phones, all good. The same thing costs more than 10 bucks in every store.

    Same goes for the phone. I'm still waiting for 70$ CECT phone, with heaps of functions. It's all made in china afterwards. It really made me sick to read Designed in California, Made in China, printed on the box of Ipod.

    Quote Originally Posted by IMI View Post
    That's how it began, at least. Back in the early 80's someone put cyanide in Tylenol capsules and put them back on the store shelf somewhere. Or maybe in a few different stores. A few people died because of it, and then I think there were some copycats afterward.

    I probably should have said marketing lingo instead of advertising lingo above.


    So somewhere along the way the marketers of products began using the safety seals, and calling them "Quality Seals", instead of something like "Immediate and Unexpected Death Prevention Seal".
    I remember this story. I believe since that case all drugs are sealed for safety.

    One thing is sealing stuff for safety, totally other using that for advertising.
    Last edited by akademus; 09-05-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

  6. #6
    Pancakes! IMI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by akademus View Post



    I remember this story. I believe since that case all drugs are sealed for safety.

    One thing is sealing stuff for safety, totally other using that for advertising.
    I found a link to the story:
    Tylenol And Cyanide

    Well, as far as I remember, sealing stuff off like they do now was far less common before that happened. Nowadays, at least here in the US, just about every consumable is sealed, and it started happening right after that.

    As for advertising, no that was just me being tongue-in-cheek about it. I see things on labels saying something like "Quality Seal to ensure product freshness!" and I always remember that. No, they don't use it for advertising, I was just being facetious.

  7. #7
    Pancakes! IMI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    What about this one?

    That's so you know that nobody slipped Xbox in there while you weren't looking.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •