Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One impact of mobile communications technology

One impact of mobile communications technology

For the sake of other drivers, and especially those of us that ride motorcycles.... Please keep both hands occupied with operating the vehicle and both eyes on the road at all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_7qC6YFo

Excellent PSA on texting while driving.
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

Great video, if that doesn't scare you enough to keep you from texting while driving, I don't know what will.

But. I'm a good driver while texting, I'm not like all those other idiots, I'm special, I's got lots of smarts that lets me talk and drive good at same time.

The crap people do while driving is insane. When you're on a bike all your attention is focused on operation of the bike and whats trying to kill you on the road ahead. I just wish more people rode so they their car driving would be better.

this reminds me of the 'the problem with todays kids' thread. to get the point across they had to go graphic with the images whereas back in the day two dudes in sombreros did the trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxwCY-IlGOs

my on-road motorcycle experience is very limited. i would guess that 99% of my riding is closed-course mx racing where i'm more worried about some guy landing on the back of my head. the few times i have ridded on the road i was paranoid about everyone around me.
    Last edited by AdamAvenali; 09-02-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    these psa's are all well and good, but I dont think they change anyones behaviour, irrespective of how graphic or realistic they are, they just preach to the converted. A shame for sure, but there u have it imho.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    these psa's are all well and good, but I dont think they change anyones behaviour, irrespective of how graphic or realistic they are, they just preach to the converted. A shame for sure, but there u have it imho.
    Maybe. But it really drives me crazy seeing people taking other peoples lives for granted like this. I would welcome draconian laws with heavy fines and license removal for the clowns operating devices like this while on the road. A few days with digital SLR's and using the existing laws regarding 'undue care and attention while driving' would do the trick. Probably take care of police budget issues for a while too.
    Last edited by Mike_RB; 09-02-2009 at 03:25 PM.

We Make Effective FX! DiscreetFX's Avatar
    Scary but very true video.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!
    DVE's & LiveSets for VT[5], TriCasters & SpeedEDIT 2.

go on google street and pick a random street ,your nieghbourhood , whatever , ill bet you will see at least one person driving with there phone attached to there face.
    Last edited by OnlineRender; 09-02-2009 at 06:26 PM.

intersting to note that in the vid the driver...the cause of the crash...survived cos of her airbag but her friends died...

me and mobile phones don't get on...i have to stop doing ANYTHING, sit down to write a text...and i'm only able to do this recently when i bought a LG cookie as it has a qwerty keyboard o the touch screen.

people should have an automatic 1 year ban for holding a phone whilst driving..no fine alternative at all..banned and the phone destroyed.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

These PSA's scare a few people, so it's better than nothing. Mike nailed a point perfectly. In a perfect world, everyone should be required to ride a motorcycle for at least a year. You gain a much greater appreciation of the road. It would make a lot of people think twice of the stupid ***** they do on the road that they have to share with others... I had a '97 Kawasaki Ninja in '99 and parked in '00. It just wasn't worth it... Was run off the road 4 times and had too many other minor but close calls. The final one was when I got run off the road at 50 mph. Some guy in a car looked at me from about 200 yards back and practically waited for me to get there to pull out of his drive way. I took evasive maneuvers and veered on to his lawn. There was ***** all over the yard and a clothes line that I had to dodge. After finally dumping the bike and tucking and rolling, I came to a stop. I get my bearings and he's already on me *****ing about what I had done to the yard... To say my circuit reached critical resistance is an understatement... I drove it home and put the keys on the wall and put a for sale sign on the windshield and haven't ridden since. I miss it a lot. Especially on those really nice days... But, it's not worth it. Too many idiots on the road. I take what little solace I can get from having a metal frame engulfing me now. At least I have that protection now. I offer another example. There was a local girl here that was extremely smart. Very good looking... Most of you know where this is going. She was going to school for political science. Her professors said that she was going to make great changes and be a person to look up to by many, even in the field. She returned to Maine for the summer and was vacationing up north with her family. She was riding by herself up towards Solon. She was struck as she entered a corner by a woman in a Dodge minivan. The woman was doing her makeup in the mirror coming through a corner that wraps around for almost 220 degrees with trees on both sides of the road. Kirsten was killed instantly. No chance. Just dead. The woman suffered minor injuries and was released 2 days later. The state took her license for a year. It was supposed to be for three to five, but she appealed in court saying that she needed her license for her kids and her job. Her kids and her job....? What about the life she snuffed out? I don't know how it is in other states. The one I live in disgusts me to the point of not wanting to know how bad it is in the rest of the country... But, it would appear (through reading the papers and seeing it time and time again) that you can get more time in prison for embezzling from a wealthy corporation than you can taking a life on the road... I called my local congressman at the time and asked if he would like to attend Kirsten's funeral. He replied in a typed and unsigned letter saying that he wished he could, but he was going to not attend. Kirsten would have been his assistant a year and a half after her death... So, to say that this subject gets my blood to it's boiling point is obvious. I won't even enter on the debate of drunk drivers... Well, for a second. I believe all judges should have a large caliber pistol on their desk, ready for OUI offenders that have been involved in an accident that killed someone.

Quote Originally Posted by borkus View Post
    I had a '97 Kawasaki Ninja in '99 and parked in '00. It just wasn't worth it...
    I ride a 2001 Honda VFR. Anyone else ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_RB View Post
    For the sake of other drivers, and especially those of us that ride motorcycles.... Please keep both hands occupied with operating the vehicle and both eyes on the road at all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_7qC6YFo

Excellent PSA on texting while driving.
    That's just nasty. Well made short, not a pleasant treatment though...

Good call re: motorcycles, but include bicycles as well, we're even less visible that motorcyclists and don't have the advantage of being able to get out of trouble quickly...
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

That video is really well done. You can even hear the one girls neck snap that is riding on the front passenger side shortly after the car is hit a second time. Many accidents are even more graphic than this though with severed limbs and bodies in some which would add even more shock value to the point of making viewers feel sick.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 09-02-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by borkus View Post
    These PSA's scare a few people, so it's better than nothing. Mike nailed a point perfectly. In a perfect world, everyone should be required to ride a motorcycle for at least a year. You gain a much greater appreciation of the road. It would make a lot of people think twice of the stupid ***** they do on the road that they have to share with others... I had a '97 Kawasaki Ninja in '99 and parked in '00. It just wasn't worth it... Was run off the road 4 times and had too many other minor but close calls. The final one was when I got run off the road at 50 mph. Some guy in a car looked at me from about 200 yards back and practically waited for me to get there to pull out of his drive way. I took evasive maneuvers and veered on to his lawn. There was ***** all over the yard and a clothes line that I had to dodge. After finally dumping the bike and tucking and rolling, I came to a stop. I get my bearings and he's already on me *****ing about what I had done to the yard... To say my circuit reached critical resistance is an understatement... I drove it home and put the keys on the wall and put a for sale sign on the windshield and haven't ridden since. I miss it a lot. Especially on those really nice days... But, it's not worth it. Too many idiots on the road. I take what little solace I can get from having a metal frame engulfing me now. At least I have that protection now. I offer another example. There was a local girl here that was extremely smart. Very good looking... Most of you know where this is going. She was going to school for political science. Her professors said that she was going to make great changes and be a person to look up to by many, even in the field. She returned to Maine for the summer and was vacationing up north with her family. She was riding by herself up towards Solon. She was struck as she entered a corner by a woman in a Dodge minivan. The woman was doing her makeup in the mirror coming through a corner that wraps around for almost 220 degrees with trees on both sides of the road. Kirsten was killed instantly. No chance. Just dead. The woman suffered minor injuries and was released 2 days later. The state took her license for a year. It was supposed to be for three to five, but she appealed in court saying that she needed her license for her kids and her job. Her kids and her job....? What about the life she snuffed out? I don't know how it is in other states. The one I live in disgusts me to the point of not wanting to know how bad it is in the rest of the country... But, it would appear (through reading the papers and seeing it time and time again) that you can get more time in prison for embezzling from a wealthy corporation than you can taking a life on the road... I called my local congressman at the time and asked if he would like to attend Kirsten's funeral. He replied in a typed and unsigned letter saying that he wished he could, but he was going to not attend. Kirsten would have been his assistant a year and a half after her death... So, to say that this subject gets my blood to it's boiling point is obvious. I won't even enter on the debate of drunk drivers... Well, for a second. I believe all judges should have a large caliber pistol on their desk, ready for OUI offenders that have been involved in an accident that killed someone.
    Something is definitely wrong when the woman that hit the girl even has the nerve to ask for them to give her license back. You would think that something like that would at least make a person feel guilty.

I also agree with your statement about drunk drivers that end up killing someone. The government doesn't want to pay to have them in prison all their life so why not just get rid of them the cheap way.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast