Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grass with HDI/explanation + files

so i think my problem may be the fact that i am running version 1.7.1

Quote Originally Posted by Hieron View Post
    ps: Clip mask does work, so removing transparancy from the flowers to clip mask makes it a very small bit faster.
    .. seems you have it sorted as I was just about to say ... "It's always worked for me"

Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    .. seems you have it sorted as I was just about to say ... "It's always worked for me"
    heh yeah, thanks for that one
    No clue how I overlooked it...

it keeps crashing if I fill in a instance per meter of 1000000 :P
    Woah, that should *not* happen. Can you send me a scene?
    - Graham Fyffe
    proprieter, Happy Digital

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    Graham...Hieron's example needs to be on your site. I'm very impressed.
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Quote Originally Posted by fyffe View Post
    Woah, that should *not* happen. Can you send me a scene?
    Nope.. can't reproduce it anymore.. it's the first thing I tried (silly thing to try too, making a patch of grass is nicer anyway). It renders fine now and it doesn't crash anymore whatever I try. Perhaps I had some vague combo of things then, many things changed since in the scene.

Even put it up all the way to 1.000.000 instances per meter. Thus have 1*10^16 instances in the scene and it still tries to render (needless to say it doesn't get very far soon ...)

Hmm sorry about that then... no clue what the reason was..

On the blurring: details in the distance are hard to preserve with so little pixels to show them I guess.. making them smooth is surely an issue though.. something MB did not fix at all. Therefore the NeatVideo plugin, it blurs in time (can do spatial too) and thus takes out the jittering.
    I've been playing around with NeatVideo following your suggestion and must say (from my limited time with it so far) it pretty much rocks. Used it on some very very ugly (one AA pass) foliage tests straight out of LW that flicker like mad obviously. With this plug however that flicker fest is considerably better. Cheers for the heads up on that little gem

Now I need to come to grips with how to get proper profiles / settings for "foliage noise" any tips there ?
    I feel like I wasted days testing AA/AS/OS/render size for this particular issue when this (most likely) could have solved my problems in 1/10 of that time
    Last edited by adk; 09-15-2009 at 02:17 AM.

A valued friend () pointed me towards the considerable stochastic noise in my renders.. It does a great job at removing that. Some things you just can't get rid of by AA (like dense foliage) and this will smoothen it out over time. It is an especial perfect match with grass renders etc.

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    I've been playing around with NeatVideo following your suggestion and must say (from my limited time with it so far) it pretty much rocks. Used it on some very very ugly (one AA pass) foliage tests straight out of LW that flicker like mad obviously. With this plug however that flicker fest is considerably better. Cheers for the heads up on that little gem

Now I need to come to grips with how to get proper profiles / settings for "foliage noise" any tips there ?
    I feel like I wasted days testing AA/AS/OS/render size for this particular issue when this (most likely) could have solved my problems in 1/10 of that time
    NeatVideo huh, looks great from their site. Thanks for the heads up!
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Can honestly say that it is worth every penny.

A sort of similar plugin by Revisionfx:
    http://www.revisionfx.com/products/denoise/gallery/

Has a fancier website for sure and a specific 3D render example. But I prefer Neatvideo, it is sort of essentially the same but NV has better options and tweakability imho. Cheaper too. Both are recommended if you don't have it though.

Something like that is a must with high density stuff like grass.. no AA will even smoothen out 1 pixel trying to capture thousands of grass blades....

this might be something to consider too,
    http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    this might be something to consider too,
    http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/
    Cheers erikals, will have to test that one as well as soon as I get a chance. The combination of both these might be extremely handy

absolutely, combine that with LW's rocket fast PRMBlur, and you should get pretty decent rendertimes
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

... I'm quite amazed how well both these things actually work. We're talking extremely noisy/flickery tree fly by with no AA what so ever. Everything in the foreground & background fizzles like crazy. Afterwards ... well I'd almost say "to hell with AA and PRMB" but I realise it's horses for courses and this would not work for every job one gets.

cheers guys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast