Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advanced particle FX.

Dutch Bacon

Advanced particle FX.

Hi all,

I'm trying to find decent up-to-date (LW v9 and up) particle FX courseware.
    I'm not looking for basic stuff.

I personally am highly interested in Particle FX and fluid dynamics and would like to know more about these areas. I know LW doesn't have build in fluid dynamics but it's just a thing I'm also highly interested in.

Suggestions? Tips? Commercial or not. I'm open for it.
    Last edited by Rove; 07-15-2009 at 05:10 AM.

Dutch Bacon
    Ah I just stumbled upon Tim Dunn's commercial tutorials on the Kurv Studios website. I hope Tim will be able to take some of the mysteries involving LightWave PFX away for me.

Greetz.

Desktop images has some visual fx series with particles and dynamics..like dynamics and detail
    http://desktopimages.com/VFX.shtml

Then you have some advanced particle training from asile fx
    http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/image...Menu/menu.html

fluids? if you mean smoke and fire fluids? thereīs no such thing available
    for lightwave unless using cantarcans dynamite fluid engine..and I donīt think theres any training on that, dynamite seems to have come to an end as a product too.

Liquid fluids..youll have to search the forums around here..thereīs some
    free tutes, but that is also involving blender or real flow.

Michael

Usually youre going to be using particles in conjunction with hypervoxels.
    There are other ways to get fluid/waterfx depending upon the specific look you need.
    KURV has these also:
    http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave...ypervoxels.php
    http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave...al_effects.php

Something Off Topic - but i have a little problem kurvstudios.com :

There are poor information about the videos, always NO Sample Screen Shots or DVD Index and Lesson overviews or anything else what you get (LW Version?, Watch a Preview?, Project Files Included?) and many broken links on the webpage - take a look at desktopimages or asile fx.

On the other hand KURV does provide a ton of aftermarket support via its support forums where people can get feedback and information that goes will beyond the DVD.

Dutch Bacon
    Thanks for all the input! This is enough info to keep me busy for days

On my spare time I already have been experimenting with LW PFX. I discovered the following:

I wanted to see the difference between Particle Size on the Dynamics -> Particle tab and Particle Size on the Hypervoxels Geometry tab. And also I wanted to know if they would influence each other.
    For that I made an emitter. I Specifically had it emit just one particle so I could (hopefully) see the difference better.

I found out that both Particle Size inputs indeed influence each other. I found out that I could change the transparancy of the Hypervoxel by both lowering the Particle Size on the Particle tab and increasing the Particle Size on the Hypervoxels Geometry tab. It seems to only work if I have turned on both Show Size and Output Size on the Dynamics -> Particle tab.

For now it seems it does something similar to what the Thickness channel on the Hypervoxels Shading tab does. It looks different though.

Ahhh experimenting is fun!
    Last edited by Rove; 07-16-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle66 View Post
    Something Off Topic - but i have a little problem kurvstudios.com :

There are poor information about the videos, always NO Sample Screen Shots or DVD Index and Lesson overviews or anything else what you get (LW Version?, Watch a Preview?, Project Files Included?) and many broken links on the webpage - take a look at desktopimages or asile fx.
    Agreed..the marketing of and showcase of the package of tutorials are
    way more attractive if you look at asile fx and desktop images, digital tutors are also very nice bundled and showcased..maybe kurv studios could
    take a little note of that and see if they can improve it on their packages.

Content wise I really cant say anything about it thou..kurv studios are surely very experienced and skilled.

To me thou, it seems that many videos are to long in their length, I prefer to
    watch more shorter videos and rather split up in several sections..my favourites are digital tutors..splendid distribution of sections and menus and decent lenghts of the videos..Even if they donīt have lightwave training they are good.

Michael

Dutch Bacon
    I watched through the Kurv DVD "Introduction To Particles and Hypervoxels Vol. I".
    The content is nice but the way it's brought could indeed be done better.
    It was hilarious to see that Tim tried to show something which didn't work out the way it supposed to.
    I knew what he did wrong though and I almost shouted at him what it was he did wrong hahaha. He finally found what caused the effect to not work right and he fixed it. All in all I learned a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rove View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to find decent up-to-date (LW v9 and up) particle FX courseware.
    I'm not looking for basic stuff.

I personally am highly interested in Particle FX and fluid dynamics and would like to know more about these areas. I know LW doesn't have build in fluid dynamics but it's just a thing I'm also highly interested in.

Suggestions? Tips? Commercial or not. I'm open for it.
    or.....you could try Houdini. Most major Hollywood studios use Houdini for particles and fluid fx. There's a free download version called Apprentice to get you going. There are good jobs available for good Houdini artists. (no I don't work for them )

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php

D

Uhh Houdini - very easy to use, learn in one week

On Fire
    http://download.sidefx.com/images/st...***_onfire.mov

Happy FX

advanced particles from tim dunne..hmm..havent seen it.

well yeah..instructors not getting
    the things to work or donīt remember wich buttons or what he was doing
    before could be really annoying..It might be that the video sessions
    are live..and very long covering complex topics that causes that..and
    it might be a little troublesome to rehearse that, but thatīs what I prefer..carefully planned tutorials or a feeling that the tutorial follows a premade script, I guess it has itīs ups and downs whatever you prefer, sometimes it can actually be useful in the sense that the instructor
    misses exactly the same problem most people might run into.

I know Tim dunne is quite skilled and probably know a lot of the technology behind particles etc..and he
    seems to be a swell guy and is serving the lightwave community well, and I really hope he will get going with his programming very soon and perhaps will see some fluid stuff coming someday to lightwave.

Otherwise..yeah, houdini is probably the way to go if one is interested in heavy particle,dynamics and pyro fx and fluids, unfortunatly I havent been able to try the houdini apprentice 10 version out yet due to hardware issues and network issues with my 3d computer, so I canīt connect with that one and get the license going.

Houdini is Costly in terms of learning curve and costly if you need the full master version, but for learning and students and for creating portfolios..there are cheaper versions, and the houdini apprentice program is awesome.

Michael

You might take a peek at these old FX Feature example scenes. They demo a lot of basic PFX and HV setups that many are not aware of.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/0jk68lcsnn.zip

Have no idea why they were dropped from recent LW contents.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Tim Dunn's lessons are pretty good. He offers a lot of information that would be difficult to figure out on you own (at least for me). The live session recordings are a bit unstructured at times, he goes off on particle topics that don't help learn what LW can do. It's because sometimes he is talking to the students in the class but we don't see what the students are asking him.
    And, yes, there are mistakes. But anything really buggy Tim will re-do on his own time and insert into the lessons. For the most part, however, the lessons are useful (as are most Kurv products) and can really help you figure out how to make the particle system work.
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Dutch Bacon
    Well the Pyro FX in Houdini sure look interesting. I guess the best thing to do is just find out about Pyro and fluid FX in general. No matter what software package.

I've seen examples where people have used LightWave Particles combined with Hypervoxels which resulted in some pretty realistic pyro FX. They claim they didn't use any 3rd party plugins. I guess it all boils down to knowledge and skills. So yea, besides playing around with what LW has to offer I'm also catchig up on some of the theory.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast