Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modelling for games using Lightwave

Modelling for games using Lightwave

This topic unfortunately doesn't get too much attention, but I think with id software's Doom around the corner NEWTEK shouldn't leave the game market almost exclusively to MAX (only to name one program).

I strart this thread hoping other people will hop on and contribute some links or help how to apply Lightwaves excellent modelling to actual games.

I myself run a small but specialized forum how to get things done for Doom3 which could be reached here:

Doom3World.org - nothing you can't build...

But it's not my intention to pimp my little site here only.

I wish other Lightwave users would join this thread posting their "Lightwave for Games" links.

Maybe proton will want to consider making a post by himself and stick it on top to make Lightwave easier accessible for custom game content creators.

Sorry for any grammar / spelling errors - I'm not a native English speaker.

cheers from Munich Germany!

Bernhard "BNA!" Grabowski
    [url=http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/index.php]BNA![/url]

For new games like Doom III, is it still necessary to model in triangles rather than quads?

Yes, you must use triangles. Which is why Lightwave isn't favored. Its more of a quad modeler than a tri modeler.
    I'd rather pay for LightWave than pay for my actions. :D

Hmm this si an arguemtn I have never really undrstood. I have done a lot of low- poly- modeling with LW in the past (about 1k low- poly- models for our database) and I have never had any problems with quads or tris or anything. I modeled and then I trippled by hand where needed, or used "convert polyons to triangles command" ,where less important. As far as I understand one has to spin triangles by hand in other apps as well as their trippling is not more intelligent than LWs own, but they simply have triangles from the bginning...
    So what is everybody up to?
    CU
    Elmar

We use LW exclusively for all our character, prop, and level modeling. It's fantastic as a low poly modeling package, there is no way we could get finished the amount of work we have to do without it.

Mike
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

according to the DoomIII teaser trailer that was around a few months ago LW IS being USED for high rez modeling in DoomIII as well as baking their textures and UV mapping them onto the low res ingame models

I distinctly saw LW interface shots in that video

it's far easier to model in quads and triple it all as the last step

do some research before making this kind of "doom and gloom" posts

Panch Eekels uses LW on the Unreal games at Digital Extremes....Serious Sam Titles were done using LW.....Deus Ex was LW......Kiss Phsycho Circus Games was LW......

The list goes on.....

Check out the list here:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/product/projects_list.html

it's not complete but shows that LW is well used in games....I know it was my tool of choice when I worked on games!

oh yeah.....Quake 4 is being created by Raven using LW

Originally posted by proton

The list goes on.....
    Well, everybody and their mom knows MAX and MAYA due to their little sisters Gmax and MAYA ple. Pancho from DE works with Lightwave and he wrote a nice tutorial, but Unreal Tournament 2k3 shipped with MAYA ple...

There's a big difference between having an ongoing list and recognition. Still everybody (besides Lightwave users) claim to know that MAYA was exclusively used in the Doom3 production pipeline.

Sure WE know it's Lightwave, but do your potential customers know? No.

That's why I started this little thread.

I'll make a little "games using Lightwave" thread on my very own forum to break the "if > game > then > MAX / MAYA" chain.

Why? I just love working with Lightwave!

I dont know if this will still be there in the final version (tho i dont see why not) but Doom III as it stands now (in that nasty leaked thing) can load lightwave objects directly into the game engine, and many of the objects used in the demo shown at E3 were lightwave objects (i mean real lightwave .lwo objects) that could be opened in lightwave and messed with .

In my opinion doom 3 will be "the next big thing" in the gaming world, think of how many other games will come out not long after using the doom 3 engine (as has been the case with all the other id software engines) so newtek really should be pusing this, make sure everyone knows that the biggest (in several sences of the word, the e3 demo was over 1 gig for 3 small unfinnished maps) most anticipated game in the last 10 years (10 years since doom came out) is using lightwave for the main bulk of its in-game graphics.

James..
    uh wha?

Originally posted by Memz
    Yes, you must use triangles. Which is why Lightwave isn't favored. Its more of a quad modeler than a tri modeler.
    That really doesn't have anything to do with it, you can switch to model in tris only in the options, but modeling in tris is kind of a pain, even Max hides edges so it feels like working with quads/ngons.

It has more to do with NewTek not going after the game market, previous versions not providing an open-enough plugin api, no uv mapping, no isometric rendering, no option to keep sprite edges. Most of this was fixed after Max and Maya had a stranglehold on the games market, and games are too rushed to be changing your pipeline all the time. LW has slipped behind in the viewport rendering though, it really needs to be updated dramatically so it takes advantage of all the cool things OpenGL can do.

Originally posted by DaveW
    LW has slipped behind in the viewport rendering though, it really needs to be updated dramatically so it takes advantage of all the cool things OpenGL can do.
    A plugin for NVIDIA's Cg shading language (only to name one) would be nice.

Well I'll get a good low poly model and forget its quads lol... then I triple it and its too high. lol
    I'd rather pay for LightWave than pay for my actions. :D

Well, if they want to overhaul the viewport part, they might need to enhance/reorganize the way surface attributes/layers are organised, too...like in XSI, for example (or better).
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast