Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: realistic materials list?

realistic materials list?

So, I' m new to lightwave and 3D animation. Ive been trying to composite some CG elements into live action footage .After getting help with my first few road blocks now I would like to get a realistic look for the materials. What I have right now looks a lot like it's from a Scooby Doo Cartoon....not really the look I'm going for.
    I have got all the basic setting so it look good in Lightwave. I have not got a handle of the node editor, it doesn't seem to make much difference. Maybe that is where I'm missing it.
    I thought I would be able to tweak each pass in Aftereffect and make it look better, No such luck. While I have had a lot of success in making it look worse I have not been able to loose that Cartoon look to everything.
    If the are any good tutorials or threads that address this PLEASE send them this way.
    What would really be great is a list of setting and node setups for common material. Things like wood, stone, skin, metal and so on. I'll take any pointers you might have.
    Last edited by Jack D; 06-26-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Arrow

All you need is here:

www.presetcentral.com
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Hey Matt,
    This site is great!! You where right everything I need is here...well accept for skill....and time....oh, and money, but those are optional right?
    I did have one problem and I'm sure the answer is right in front of me but I'm not seeing it. I see there is more that is needed for the IFW2 they all say "This plugin is from the IFW2 Plugin collection. See detail for more information." Where are the "details" found.
    Again, this site is very helpful, thanks for all your hard work and your help.

Jack

You can also try F8 for the presets and adjust of course to the real world equivalent.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

Sorry guys, I am still learnig this stuff.
    The IFW2 is a plug-in that you have to buy?
    As far as switching to the real world equivalent for the presets, I would love that. I can't find the option to switch it.
    F8 brings up the preset shelf and then I'm lost.

IFW2 is a commerical plugin, you would need to buy it if you wanted to use a preset that had it.

There is no 'real world' switch for the preset shelf, what virtualcomposer was saying is that you could use the stock presets as a starting point and then make them more real by editing them to suit.

To use a preset from the preset shelf (F8) make sure your Surface Editor is up, and you've selected the surface you want to change from the list, then double click on the preset thumbnail you want to use from the Preset Shelf. It will then be loaded on the surface you chose in the Surface Editor.

A realistic looking surface has just as much to do with the lighting in your scene also, as that affects how surface properties behave. But as a starting point, try and light scenes as they would appear in the real world, and if you use any Area Lights, turn their Falloff setting to Inverse2, as that mimics more closely how real world lights behave.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-27-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks again Guys.
    Hey Matt I hope you are going to do some more video tutorials . I know the ones on your site are are just to cover the basics, but they very good.
    Please keep the tips and tricks coming. I'm going to give all this a shot I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions later.

Thanks!

If you can "pop" for it, IFW2 has been running a "special" lately, but even without, it is the best overall plugin for texture presets, well worth it. I am not "affiliated" in any way, just have used it forever. I understand they are going to bring it along to the HC release series, and current owners will either get it free??? or minor upgrade, still worthwhile. Check out the site for more info.
    Paul
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    I think you'll find that materials are only part of the issue. Lighting and scene setup are as important as materials.

You don't need IFW2 to make real materials.
    Try to sue the Materials Nodes first (conductor, Dielectric, Delta, ...). I'd suggest to start with Delta. That's a physically accurate solid material. If that doesn't look good, you have to work on your lighting and scene setup.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exception View Post
    I think you'll find that materials are only part of the issue. Lighting and scene setup are as important as materials.

You don't need IFW2 to make real materials.
    Try to sue the Materials Nodes first (conductor, Dielectric, Delta, ...). I'd suggest to start with Delta. That's a physically accurate solid material. If that doesn't look good, you have to work on your lighting and scene setup.
    Absolutely, even set everything to white or 50% grey first and work on the lighting...if you can't get the scene to look realistic (ie. like everything's painted white or grey) then the materials won't look real either.

From your initial post, I'd also check that you're using raytracing, especially shadows and possibly reflections.

Dont forget to chuck in some radiosity, that along with a decent hdr probe image to light the scene often yields some eye candy results.

Realism used to be something of a holy grail in cgi but nowadays it's relatively easy, and LW has all the tools you need.

On top of what has been said above, using area lights and/or turning on radiosity makes things suddenly look very real
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Most important is that you stick your nose into gamma and how it works. Without proper gamma correction it'll always look strange or your settings will be off to achieve a realistic look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast