Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: realistic materials list?

Thanks guys, I am trying to follow you and figure this out. I have worked harder on light set up, added radiosity I have already seen some nice results. I tried setting up the delta node but, but didn't get to far. I think that is going to take some more practice and study. There are a few things I could use some more detail on.

1) "set everything to white or 50% grey first and work on the lighting" I understand the idea but I don't know the best way set it up.
    2) "along with a decent hdr probe image to light the scene" I can't find the controls for this
    3) "Most important is that you stick your nose into gamma and how it works" I would love more info on Gama. Again, I can't find the controls for it, but I would like to know more about it works.

Here is what I have so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comp upload_01.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	74830  

Search for Gamma, color calibration, etc. There's plenty of info on this forum. You need to use a "color correction node" to change the gamma of the color (Gamma set to .4545). If you render out hdrs photoshop will apply a gamma so everything will be correct. If you save out 8bit images the FP Gamma image filter needs to be applied.

Don't expect to understand all these things in a few days. It's a long way to get to know all this stuff.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Well, I can help you out with 2).

Inside Layout press CTRL+F5 (or go Windows | Backdrop Options). Click on the Add Environment button and select Image World from the menu. Right Click on the 'image world' that appears in your list and Load in your hdr image, by clicking on the Light Probe image button.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
    Thanks guys, I am trying to follow you and figure this out. I have worked harder on light set up, added radiosity I have already seen some nice results. I tried setting up the delta node but, but didn't get to far. I think that is going to take some more practice and study. There are a few things I could use some more detail on.

1) "set everything to white or 50% grey first and work on the lighting" I understand the idea but I don't know the best way set it up.
    2) "along with a decent hdr probe image to light the scene" I can't find the controls for this
    3) "Most important is that you stick your nose into gamma and how it works" I would love more info on Gama. Again, I can't find the controls for it, but I would like to know more about it works.

Here is what I have so far.
    #1 - Here's how I match lighting: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90535

You can create a simple preset object or just use the one from preset central. I start with a flat, diffused surface to get the lighting close to the scene lighting...try to match the lights position by using highlights and shadows and then concentrate on the light colours. Then you can use a more reflective surface to see how it holds up and test background reflections.

I'll second that regarding IFW2. It's great bang for the buck, extremely useful in all sorts of ways, from just grabbing 2D and 3D procedurals LW doesn't have, to using some of its newer nodal stuff too. At last count it is comprised of 38 plugins. You could almost make a career out of using IFW2, there's so much there. (And no, I am not affiliated with them either, I just often use their product.)

Thanks, This has been SO much help. I still have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to being able to really dial these things in. As it stands now the first showing of this project is in less then three weeks. So I need to finish up all the other elements, but all your direction has made a huge difference in the quality. I'll be able to do some more tweaking after the showing and before the film fest. Thanks again.

So, here is the latest. I tried to follow as much as I could from all the you guys had. I also added some motion blur and film grain. I like the results, but what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new dragon.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	75180  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12