Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Came accross this very cool Instant Animation and Rendere!

personally speaking, i would prefer to buy a pro version that has a usable licence scheme.

Jimmy Rigger looks great
    the licence for Jimmy Rigger does not look great!
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

User.
    Nothing of value WHATSOEVER on a computer do I EVER link it to the internet!!

I have a silly computer that barely manages surfing on the net, that is contentless in valuable things in it, and as such its 'specially designed' for surfing on a net! That and a USB is all I need.

The issue is Exposure!

Once upon a time there was a fantastical island built by man, this island, which was set off the coast of Wavelight, came to be known as RimmyJig, alas though, because of it's greatness it had to be built beyond the distance of that which man could swim, row, or even sail, not for the ships in Wavelight's harbour anyway. But fear not, because for a reasonable sum of ten pieces of eight, Captain Fellatio Hornblower will give you passage to RimmyJig aboard the HMS Dirigami Ogital.

"All aboard! And don't forget to keep those tickets handy, I shall be checking to see you are a paid up passenger every step of the way!"

"What!?" Cried the people of Wavelight, well that won't do, so their dreams of life on RimmyJig are lost. But wait, what's this? "Oooaaarrrr me hearties, there be plenty of room aboard my ship, the Pishaniola!" Cried Long Silver John.

Though wary of what they might be infected with by sailing on the Pishaniola, the people of Wavelight where persuaded by the relaxed atmosphere that did surround the ship, and though by no means the main attraction, also by the excellent price of admission, though nobody spoke of it aloud.

And so we have a happy ending, with the people of Wavelight all enjoying their time on RimmyJig with nothing to complain about but a small delay in depature. A happy ending that is, for all but poor Captain Fellatio Hornblower "And I put so much thought into my voyage, if only I could go back now and admit I was wrong."

THE END.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by dballesg View Post
    I WAS interested on JimmyRig, the license scheme throws me out a bit, mainly because I suffered from problems with ZBrush and an iffy internet connection.
    I was looking at ZBrush4 as a possible purchase this year. It requires an always-on internet connection? Is that true for Z4? Bummer, think I'll pass.

Origami - best wishes for your product introduction.

Looks very interesting, but I think I'll let the dust settle a bit. Certainly not interested in a purchase I can't demo and it will stop working if the company goes out of business or tires of it - or if North Korea disrupts the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    t we didn`t want to have to hire a support team, because, it would inflate the price.
    One other thought. If you don't want to support it, make it a flat $99 bucks. That's the magic price where it doesn't really require a cost justification in my mind. It's a throw away purchase. If it doesn't work out, I don't lose any sleep.

My guess is that you'd get so many purchases, that you'd be able to justify adding support, or some users would gladly setup and moderate a usergroup and provide most support (like we see with spinquad.com and realflowforum.com).

Then, charge a nominal fee for upgrades.

But, don't kill the horse going out of the gate with unnecessary annoyances. Let it connect to a server to check for updates IF it is connected to the internet - but don't make that a requirement for it to function at all.
    Last edited by 3dWannabe; 07-15-2009 at 07:08 AM.

User.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dWannabe View Post
    ... - or if North Korea disrupts the Internet.
    That was only Government computers hacked in US and South Korea I heard! And a non lethal one at it too!

So you work for the government, but want to be a 3D Wannabe huh? I see. All clear now

Quote Originally Posted by DiedonD View Post
    Nothing of value WHATSOEVER on a computer do I EVER link it to the internet!!

I have a silly computer that barely manages surfing on the net, that is contentless in valuable things in it, and as such its 'specially designed' for surfing on a net! That and a USB is all I need.

The issue is Exposure!
    And that's the same reason no one would use hacked software on a computer they use for work. The hackers do more than remove the protection - they ADD things to the software that cause LOTs of problems.

You could 'protect it by simply locking it to the MAC address (each MAC address is totally unique) of the ethernet port already on anyone's machine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Yes, there are ways around this, but you'd knock out 99% of the theft for very little annoyance (you could register the MAC address with your company using a browser on another machine, and bring back a 'key' to load on the protected machine).

Quote Originally Posted by DiedonD View Post
    That was only Government computers hacked in US and South Korea I heard! And a non lethal one at it too!

So you work for the government, but want to be a 3D Wannabe huh? I see. All clear now
    My government issued answering device says "This is the CIA. There's no need to leave a message as we know who you are - and WHY you've called. Have a nice day!"

The thing is, Oliver's descriptions leave out some of the impacts on customers:

1. Network issues? Software won't run, lowered support cost idea falls apart as affected customers in area (potentially large #) try to contact support for solution.

2. License servers go down for some reason? Software won't run, and again that idea of lowering support costs just went out window as folks attempt to find out why.

3. Company takes down license servers as part of ending sales of product. No support costs, granted, but customers now completely out of luck.

I do notice in the responses from Origami Digital, there's no formal commitment about keeping license servers up 24/7, figuring out alternate solution if network issues at their end, etc. either. That makes me think they just don't consider such issues important, nor consider paid customers inability to access the program important. Too much of the "explanation" came across as just making up excuses for their unacceptable software protection scheme.

Sorry, but definite lost sale here (was looking to buy day it was available too). All the comments by Origami Digital/Oliver about cutting costs seem heavily biased towards doing so in ways that inconvenience the customer, which makes me more certain I'm making the right decision.

As a customer, I prefer to do business with companies that are more concerned about the long-term satisfaction of their customers with their products. I'll wait for a policy change (now looks unlikely), more acceptable policy from a competitor, or just do without.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

TO: Origami Digital, LLC:

Do your thing your way! You have eliminated\removed a partial hurdle(bones, animating, weightmaps) for most(90%) users of Lightwave. Never mind these complaining "chimps"....They'll buy it soon enough...Focus on the next version and it's marriage\wedding with CORE.
    be a billionaire, share your wealth

Quote Originally Posted by guardonduty View Post
    TO: Origami Digital, LLC:

Do your thing your way! You have eliminated\removed a partial hurdle(bones, animating, weightmaps) for most(90%) users of Lightwave. Never mind these complaining "chimps"....They'll buy it soon enough...Focus on the next version and it's marriage\wedding with CORE.
    Sir - kindly do not abbreviate me. "Chimpanzee" would more acceptable.

I was looking at ZBrush4 as a possible purchase this year. It requires an always-on internet connection? Is that true for Z4? Bummer, think I'll pass.

we're going off topic here abit but it's worth carifying i think.

not true as far as i know
    what i've read is that the curent 3rd party softlock is being ditched from zbrush and will be brought back to a pixologic softlock like that of zbrush 2

my issue with zbrush 3 softlock for windows is that it's flakey and will fail on occasion...pixologic however allow you 2 installs to be active so if one fails you just switch to your backup pc until your licence is recovered for the one that fell over...currently such things as using a restore date or just a windows update can kill the licence also sometime just booting up your pc will seem to knock over the licence...rebooting usually sorts that little issue out.

as stated this is changing in zbrush 4 to a much more robust licence, one i believe is already in use for the newest mac osx version of zbrush.
    this is NOT a connect to the net type license just to make that totally clear.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Looking at the tutorials on the website about exporting rigs, I see now that this is not going to be as easy or quickly useable like characterstudio for max. The giraffe in the vid has bones and weights but no IK or limits applied. You have to set up everything again manually which is fine but if its already with mocap how do you set up with normal IK so you can add more keyframe anim? Will Ikb be the only way to use on this rig if it has mocap already and you want to add more?
    In cstudio if you use biped to rig and apply mocap all the IK, goals, limits are there and easy to edit and to add keyframe anim to it is a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    Looking at the tutorials on the website about exporting rigs, I see now that this is not going to be as easy or quickly useable like characterstudio for max. The giraffe in the vid has bones and weights but no IK or limits applied. You have to set up everything again manually which is fine but if its already with mocap how do you set up with normal IK so you can add more keyframe anim? Will Ikb be the only way to use on this rig if it has mocap already and you want to add more?
    In cstudio if you use biped to rig and apply mocap all the IK, goals, limits are there and easy to edit and to add keyframe anim to it is a snap.

with biped you also get animation layers to play with as well as data thining the mo cap...BUT you have to setup the bones and set the envelopes for the bones also...so it's not ALL biped is 'best' or faster...

Jimmy Rigger looks FASTER from a mesh to having a animated mo cap mesh running around your scene.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    with biped you also get animation layers to play with as well as data thining the mo cap...BUT you have to setup the bones and set the envelopes for the bones also...so it's not ALL biped is 'best' or faster...

Jimmy Rigger looks FASTER from a mesh to having a animated mo cap mesh running around your scene.
    Agree, cstudio is not the best or faster since jrig can put bones and weights in seconds but in this case I think I was hoping for a "rigged" character not a character with bones. And as you are a max user too you know it takes just a few minutes to setup up bones and envelopes,vertex weights, etc with cstudio BUT editing mocap without the tools you mentioned as well as other in cs would be double the work. My real concern is importing the character with no Ik and just mocap into lw is it possible to use normal IK? The only workflow I learned in lw for mocap is using IKB. I want to use normal IK with the mocap character from jimmy.

edit -importing the character with no Ik and just mocap
    Last edited by geo_n; 07-15-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Sir - kindly do not abbreviate me. "Chimpanzee" would more acceptable.
    Great Ape would be even more accurate! ..

hehe..

mlon
    lw_chanlum [free shader and node x32] <HERE!>
    lw_chanlum [advanced node x32, x64, ub and osx] <HERE!>

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast