Thread: title template question

title template question

hi all

what is the easiest way to substitute my own image for one that is already in the title template? i can add it - but looking to "replace" the existing one while RETAINING all the attributes. tried ALT key but that does not seem to replace.

thanks,
    Bob S.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    No easy way but you can do this at your own risk as I take no responsibility if you delete a template (which is the worst that can happen and that is not so terrible).

In Windows, locate the folder;
    C:\Program Files\NewTek\SpeedEDIT\Effects\Titles\Templates
    Here you will find the title template files and a same named folder but the folder has added pages to the end of the name.
    Select the title template which ends with .cg and the associated folder. Right click on them and choose copy. Now click away in the folder and right click and choose paste. Windows is smart enough to not overwrite the file names and just add copy to the name.
    Now open the new copy folder and you will see the image or images the template uses. Hover the mouse over the image to reveal the size of the image or right click on it and choose properties and then advance. Note the image size. Say for example 720x540.
    *For this part I will stay with SE but it can be done in a paint program as well.
    In SpeedEdit, select new and change the project to the size of the image. In my example it would be 720x540. Now add the image you want to replace in the template. SE will auto size the image to fit correctly on screen but you can do whatever you want like scale or position to get what you want of the image to display in full screen. Once you are satisfied, goto the file window and choose render still. Choose the file format the template folder had. It is jpg or png but make sure you choose the right one. Save to your desktop or a image folder. SE renders out stills to the project resolution so you just re-sized your image to match the template image.
    Now in Windows, go back to template image folder and right click on it and choose rename. When you do this, the whole name should be highlighted. Right click on the highlighted name and choose copy. Now go to your desktop where the render still image is and enter the rename of it. Right click on the name and choose paste. Now click away so that the image is not highlighted and then right click on the image and choose copy to copy the entire image. Go to the template folder and paste it in. Delete the original image and rename the copy be deleting the words copy of. To be sure I name it 100% correctly, you can add bak to the original and then delete the copy of from the render still to double check your typing.
    Now we need to rename the .cg and the copy folder to be the same. You can name it whatever you want but make sure you keep the .cg on the file and the .cg.pages at the end of the folder.
    Now load your new template into SE and it will retain all the original template attributes but with your new image.
    The only other thing missing is an icon for the .cg title when you use the add media window in SE. This is no big deal but if you need to go through this whole process and you also want a proper icon, then reply back that you have succeeded with this procedure and want to make an icon so that I can post how to do it.
    Hint, you want to render a still of the template untouched and then re-size and paste to a NewTek info folder.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I made my own folder, copied the ones I wanted to use, then once I've added deleted ect.. drag n drop the new one.cg from the timeline, to my folder or the clients folder.

HTHelps
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by KiloWatkins View Post
    I made my own folder, copied the ones I wanted to use, then once I've added deleted ect.. drag n drop the new one.cg from the timeline, to my folder or the clients folder.

HTHelps
    But that will not change the templates image to the new one. You still have to follow the procedure I laid out.

Also note, if you drag a Title effect from the time line into a Add Media window, you are creating a .VTD and not a .cg file. A .VTD file is a project file same as a save project from the file menu. This is the only way to save any edits you made to a title effect for re-use in other projects.

Myself and Bill Mills make custom Title Templates for SpeedEdit, TriCaster and VT with competitive pricing. My contact info is on my web page and Bill is also on his web page http://corin.com/wipes/dves.shtml

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

jose,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. will try it as soon as i get a few extra minutes. thanks again for taking the time.

bob s

No problem. By the way, were you successful?
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster